[Solved] PHP Extensions

Parth

Now that the forum page has decided to load... onward!

I would like to request the following PHP extensions to be installed/enabled: Fileinfo, and Intl. I know that Intl was requested in the other "php extensions" thread, but unfortunately only APC made the cut. I'm going to assume Intl was simply forgotten to be installed.

The reason why I'm asking for these two is because of Roundcube mail. I like making sure I get the full capability of the script and I can't do that unless these two are installed. I'm going to assume that Fileinfo is going to be used more for attachment viewing and Intl for localization.

I know that Fileinfo is shipped and enabled by default with the standard PHP 5.3 package so any security risks it poses (if any) must be extremely insignificant so why is it disabled/not installed?

Thanks for reading! :D

EDIT: Also just noticed, why is Roundcube disabled in cPanel? I don't usually use the one packaged by cPanel because it's usually horribly out of date but I'm still curious anyway.

On the other hand, intl is supported. I'll keep that one in mind for next time I recompile Apache.
This support request is being escalated to our root admin.

EDIT: Also just noticed, why is Roundcube disabled in cPanel? I don't usually use the one packaged by cPanel because it's usually horribly out of date but I'm still curious anyway.
I think it was disabled to help with Stevie's Stability. Not sure though...

Guest Geoff

Regarding the intl extension:

This extension is bundled with PHP as of PHP version 5.3.0.

HelioHost runs a minimum PHP version of 5.3.3 (stevie runs 5.3.3 and johnny runs 5.3.6), so this should already be installed.

Same thing for fileinfo:

This extension is enabled by default as of PHP 5.3.0.

It was disabled because it appeared to be causing slowness (see topic "Slow to load PHP"), but after further investigation, it was discovered that roundcube was not the problem. However, it was never reactivated. I don't know if djbob still would like to reactivate it or not.

Guest Geoff

Well, it appears that those extensions are optional, not required. I could re-enable them for you, but djbob might have them disabled for a reason. We'll see what he has to say.

I'm guessing that cPanel EasyApache just disables those extensions by default, even though PHP has them on by default. We'll enable them next time we rebuild.

List of PHP modules we are currently going to add when we rebuild:

fileinfo

intl

As for Roundcube, it has a process time leak somewhere. I disabled it (the most recent disabling) after I found it using far too much CPU time on one of the servers. This issue might have since been patched, though... I'm not sure.

Haha thank you :)

And yeah unless cPanel & WHM is on the CURRENT release tier, they don't update the integrated scripts like webmail as often as they should. It very may well be fixed in an new release of Roundcube which is on version 0.5.3 now but changing the release tier also introduces instability. =\