[Answered] Connecting To Postgresql Remotely

arctellion

Hi,

I have been trying to connect to my PostgreSQL Database remotely using pgAdmin III

I use the details

stevie.heliohost.org with the usual postgresql port number 5432

Username : monkslgh

Password : <insert password here>

When I connect instead of seeing my database and tables as I would expect when connecting to a server with a specific username and password, I see the 500 or so databases held on the server and have to go looking for mine in order to connect to it to access the information held in it.

The biggest question I have is Is this usual, or even what I should expect to happen?

IF it's not what's supposed to happen then please advise what I'm doing wrong when logging into the database remotely.

Follow the steps for Connecting Remotely: http://wiki.helionet.org/MySQL_Databases#Connecting_Remotely

Thank you for the reply, but this shurely only effects MySQL, I am having the issue with PostgreSQL, different database :) I tried the steps outlined in the wiki article, and still have the same issue.

I log into the database through either pgAdmin III or a Valentina Studio (which I use for database design) only to be presented with a list of all the databases on the server, from which I then need to scroll through to get to myone. I would have thought when I connect to my database on the server through pgAdmin III or any other locally installed application for remotely accessing databases that I would gain access to just my database, and only have my database visible. If I am wrong in my assumption please do let me know.

I see the same thing when using pgAdmin, so it's probably just how they have it set up.

I feel like it could be a security issue, but the data in the databases isn't accessible, only the structure is, and read-only, so its not too much of a risk. Almost every database has GRANT CONNECT, TEMPORARY to PUBLIC, which won't let you do much. I've seen far worse.

I see the same thing when using pgAdmin, so it's probably just how they have it set up.

That's what I had concluded, I just wasn't sure if it's what was to be expected or not.

I feel like it could be a security issue, but the data in the databases isn't accessible, only the structure is, and read-only, so its not too much of a risk. Almost every database has GRANT CONNECT, TEMPORARY to PUBLIC, which won't let you do much. I've seen far worse.

I have to agree, I initially thought that it might be a security issue, which would be my main concern. But I saw that the access was very limited, so let the security side pass. the only thing that would be of concern is that it does give someone with malicious intent people's cpanel id's as they are used as the first part of the database. I have to ask as I've not tried setting up a MySQL database, is it the same issue with them? Or are they set up better?

Not that I want to use MySQL not now Oracle have picked them up .. lol

The cPanel usernames aren't an issue, since everyone posts them on here anyway when their account gets suspended or something breaks. MySQL databases use the same format names too.

Also, the server blocks remote access to your MySQL databases unless you explicitly allow it in cPanel, unlike Postgres which allows it and as far as I know doesn't permit it to be restricted.