Error Establishing A Database Connection In Stevie

zooter80

Hi,

my website is hosted on Stevie with username zooter.

Constantly myself and visitors keep complaining about

Error establishing a database connection

This seems to clear up after some time, but is obviously inconvenient if I want to have a website up and running all the time....also, myi'm unable to update my wordpress posts due to this error.

this happens almost every day

please help

The downtime and inability to edit your posts are related to the database crash in February.

The database server downtime is unfortunately normal on Stevie for the moment, but the inability to edit posts sounds like InnoDB tables.

You can check for InnoDB tables by going into phpmyadmin and selecting your database. In the list of tables, see if any of them show InnoDB in the "Engine" column. If they do, you should convert your database tables to the MyISAM engine. To do that:

1. Make a backup of your database through cPanel or phpmyadmin. You want a plain text (.sql) file.
  2. Open backup file in a text editor, then do a find and replace. Find all ENGINE=InnoDB and replace them with ENGINE=MyISAM
  3. Save and close the backup after editing.
  4. Create a new database in cPanel, then import the edited backup into it using cPanel or phpmyadmin.
  5. Assign your website's database user to the new database in cPanel.
  6. Edit the config file for your website to use the new database name.
  7. Ignore the old database. Do not attempt to drop it.

Also, for what it's worth, right now that account's main domain won't resolve for me. Is that the site you're referring to?

thanks for the response, but all the databases are MyISAM.

the errors that I keep getting are "Error establishing a database connection" or "500 Internal Server Error" or ANother error page where it says unable to connect to DB (I will give the text once I get it)

slightly unrelated, but the domain name is www.jaldireviews.com but I'm pretty sure there is a domain mapping issue as all subdomains have a www prefix, eg. test.jaldireviews.com is not a subdomain, but test.www.jaldireviews.com -- maybe I have to delete and create these subdomains???

The 3rd error I keep getting is:

This either means that the username and password information in your wp-config.php file is incorrect or we can't contact the database server at localhost. This could mean your host's database server is down.

The 500 error could be a lot of things. The most common causes are errors in htaccess, hitting your process limit (usually being logged into cPanel does it), or high server load.

The database error could be the db server being down, which it is quite a bit these days, or a configuration error like a bad password. If it comes and goes on its own, odds are the server is just down.

The domain mapping issue is odd...did you change your main domain and include the www by mistake, then change it again to correct it? If so, you need to recreate the subdomains.

yes regarding the domain name, i did include the www first and then corrected it to not have the www. I'll recreate the subdomains...not a big issue

but the DB issue is really problematic. there is no wrong password or config issues. It keeps coming and going several, times a day when i'm editing posts. So I can only imaging how bad it must be over a 24 hour period and for my visitors :(

That periodic MySQL downtime sounds like Stevie in general these days. My site does that too...spitting out "FATAL: cannot connect to database server" half the time. :(

No fix except to wait, and there's no estimate on the repair time as far as I know.

I'll agree it is very frustrating.