Stevie Mysql - Common Questions And Problems

wolstech

This topic is a reference for those having problems with the MySQL server on Stevie. Due to a crash in February, Stevie's MySQL server has been experiencing frequent errors and downtime. There are a variety of error codes and problems, and the solutions to each are different.

Common Issues

Error -2002 ("Can't connect to local MySQL server...")

Issue:

You're receiving Error -2002 or a message saying you cannot connect to the database server when you try to use certain mysql applications or when you try to log into PhpMyAdmin.

Solution:

The server is down. Wait several minutes and try again. The server goes down very frequently due to the damage associated with the crash in February,

Error -2013 ("Lost Connection during query...") / Database error installing software / Error editing tables in PhpMyAdmin

Issue:

You receive error -2013 or a message saying the connection was lost during a database query when executing queries in phpmyadmin, when restoring a backup, or when installing various software.

This error is caused by attempting to create or modify a database table (or data within the table) that uses the InnoDB storage engine. InnoDB was damaged during the server crash in February. As a result, you cannot edit the data within a table, nor can you create/alter/drop InnoDB tables (or drop any database containing these tables). Instead, you will need to use MyISAM for all database tables.

Solution:

Solutions vary for this issue. For software installation issues, you will need to seek help from the software developer on how to modify the installer to use MyISAM database tables.

If you are trying to edit an existing database table, see the solution for "My site works, but I get database errors when I try to edit my content".

If you have a backup that you want to restore, make a copy of your backup's .sql file, then use the solution for "My website works but I get an error when I edit my content", starting at Step 2.

My site works, but I get database errors when I try to edit my content

Issue:

Your application is probably using InnoDB tables in its database. To check if this is the case, log into PhpMyAdmin from cPanel, then select the database for your website. In the list of tables on the right side, look for InnoDB under the Engine column.

Solution:

If this is the issue, you can convert your database to use MyISAM instead of InnoDB. To do this:

1. Make a backup of your database through cPanel or phpmyadmin. You want a plain text (.sql) file.
  2. Open your new backup file in a text editor, then use the "find and replace" feature of your editor. Find all ENGINE=InnoDB and replace them with ENGINE=MyISAM
  3. Save and close the backup after editing.
  4. Create a new database in cPanel, then import the edited backup file into it using cPanel or phpmyadmin.
  5. Assign your website's database user to the new database in cPanel.
  6. Edit the config file for your website to use the new database. The exact procedure will vary based upon which software you use. Consult its documentation for information on setting the database name.
  7. Ignore the old database. Do not attempt to drop it.

Roundcube and Horde don't work

Issue:

Roundcube and Horde use a database with InnoDB tables to track users and mail. Because of this, they won't work without InnoDB functioning correctly. The issue manifests as either a database error or an infinite redirect in Roundcube, and a "not authorized" message in Horde.

Solution:

Use another webmail client.

Softaculous does not work properly

Issue:

Softaculous and many of the software programs it can install rely upon InnoDB database tables. Installation of software may not work properly. Any installations performed will not be displayed in Softaculous and cannot be removed through Softaculous even if the software installed successfully.

This issue is most commonly seen when installing WordPress (one of the most frequently installed choices), although many other applications will cause errors as well.

Solution:

Install applications manually.

If you wish to remove an application and the installation does not appear in Softaculous, simply remove the installation through conventional means.

I dropped my database and now it appears in PhpMyAdmin but not in cPanel.

Issue:

These "half-dropped" databases result from attempting to drop a database containing InnoDB tables. Attempting to drop these databases also sometimes causes ~10 minutes of MySQL downtime for the server.

Solution:

Just ignore the unwanted database. There is no fix at this time. When the server has been repaired, an admin will be able to drop these databases for you.

We recommend that you do not attempt to drop databases containing InnoDB tables at this time. By not trying to drop them, you will be able to drop them yourself when the server has been repaired.

If you are experiencing a problem not described here or need additional help with the solution, please create a new topic in Customer Service.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Because we don't have any extra servers to put it on...not to mention complexity and the fact that many people don't have any problems or have mitigated them already.

I got the Error -2013 when trying to install the Wordpress.

I am curious to know , Will this happen for your paid hosting services too ?

• 2 weeks later...

We usually say we're working on it, but It's been broken for a year.

Seeing that even we don't know when it'll be fixed (Krydos is the only one who could fix it), and my understanding is that the damage was quite severe, I suspect the answer is "we're not". :(

• 4 weeks later...

Do these problems explain why I've lost the ability to access the database from a remote host? I was doing so regularly (I even had a cron job set up on another server to take a backup) and now nothing seems to work, even though the remote host is enabled in cpanel. It all seemed to stop some time in December, but I thought it was something I'd done on the other server!

• 1 month later...

Hi isent there any way off turning off InnoDB so that it would be easer for an admin in future to fix it at later date. when they know how to. and anyways everyone should be using myisam since innodb would cause the server to go and turning innodb off will stop the server from crashing everytime the users uses innodb.

...and turning it off makes innodb tables go from read only to unavailable. That's the main reason it's still on. I agree though, we should consider turning it off at some point if we're not going to fix it.

Sir, I know stevie's MySQL InnoDB engine was broken so I'm using johnny instead of stevie server because I need InnoDB engine. But today when I've executed a sql query structure with InnoDB engine I've got the same problem of stevie. So I want to know that, is Johnny's InnoDB engine was broken or not? If your answer is yes, then I need some help to do some changes on my script, which was created by me and my script has 10 InnoDB tables for now.

Yes. It's broken on both servers. One of Johnny's many crashes caused it.

To convert your tables, just export them, then open the .sql file in a text editor and do a find and replace. Find all references to InnoDB, replace with MyISAM. Save. Import.

• Like 1