Stevie Mysql Problems

Ndlazi

Mysql has just gone down on me again and it is happening a lot. I'm sure people are working hard on this and we do all appreciate that we're getting the entire service for nowt! However, it would be very helpful if I had something to say to my users (there aren't many of them, but there quite crucial to my venture being a success!). Can anyone spare some moments to give a bit of feedback about what the problem might be?

Same sentiments here. There was no official statement by an administrator after the last outage even though it lasted half a day.

A "we are still trying to work on it but it needs so and so" will do. Any sort of feedback from an administrator with direct access to the server is very appreciated because it puts our minds at ease.

Thank you very much.

Last I heard is something like this:

The MySQL server is mostly stable. It doesn't have a problem until someone attempts to access a corrupted InnoDB database, and then MySQL crashes. It is supposed to restart itself after about a minute, but sometimes that doesn't happen. The corrupted databases have to be gone through and fixed manually, which is what is taking so long.

That's my understanding of where we are at. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

• Like 1

Last I heard is something like this: The MySQL server is mostly stable. It doesn't have a problem until someone attempts to access a corrupted InnoDB database, and then MySQL crashes. It is supposed to restart itself after about a minute, but sometimes that doesn't happen. The corrupted databases have to be gone through and fixed manually, which is what is taking so long. That's my understanding of where we are at. Feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.

Just the answer that was needed. Thank you very much and good luck. I wish I could offer some help, but haven't (yet) the knowledge.

Thank you. And what happens if someone's script attempts to create a new InnoDB database?

If you SELECT from the tables, it works fine.

If you UPDATE/INSERT/DELETE data in such a table, it fails with "Got -1 from storage engine" but generally won't crash. Creating/altering/dropping the tables themselves (or databases containing them) seems to frequently cause a crash.

Thank you. And what happens if someone's script attempts to create a new InnoDB database?
If you SELECT from the tables, it works fine. If you UPDATE/INSERT/DELETE data in such a table, it fails with "Got -1 from storage engine" but generally won't crash. Creating/altering/dropping the tables themselves (or databases containing them) seems to frequently cause a crash.

So a script trying to create a new InnoDB table can cause a crash as well?

If you SELECT from the tables, it works fine. If you UPDATE/INSERT/DELETE data in such a table, it fails with "Got -1 from storage engine" but generally won't crash. Creating/altering/dropping the tables themselves (or databases containing them) seems to frequently cause a crash.
So a script trying to create a new InnoDB table can cause a crash as well?

Yes, creating a new InnoDB table can also crash it.

I don't know if it is something that users could fix, since an attempt at fixing it would likely cause another crash.

As for recompiling, it is safer to fix any other issues first, that way we can potentially upgrade MySQL when it comes time to recompile.

I'm not sure of what is going on, but I think my account is a source of buggy databases.

I've not touched my databases for many months, I reckon they were empty. Last night I was ready to roll a new version of my portfolio that would rely on them and tried to import the first table, a simple one with a single entry. It just didn't work, I've got an error, the phpMyAdmin crashed and refused to open again for ~15 min, it seems it coincided with a short downtime of stevie too.

I only know I ended trying to empty/check/repair/delete/recreate the databases through the CPanel, but when phpMyAdmin was back I could see the databases were never truly deleted. When I tried to create tables through the SQL it acted as if it worked, but no table was created, when I tried to run the SQL from a PHP file it pretended it worked as well. If I return to the CPanel and run a check on the database it'll occasionally report the "Error: Table '(table name)' doesn't exist Status : Operation failed".

I went to bed thinking it could be a momentary bug, but got no luck today too. I managed to truly delete a database, but upon creating a new one phpMyAdmin crashed again right after:

"Error

SQL query: Edit

SET CHARACTER SET 'utf8';

MySQL said: Documentation

#2002 - Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

The server is not responding (or the local server's socket is not correctly configured).

Open new phpMyAdmin window"

It returned quickly this time, but the database I've just deleted was here, staring at me, with table error and everything. If I tried to create tables in any database of my account now I actually got an error, "#2013 - Lost connection to MySQL server during query".

Then, I found this thread and others and read the mention to InnoDB. I'm sorry if I've crashed the MySQL or anything else for anyone but me last night/this morning and I hope my report helps fixing this problem. :|

P.s.: I still have a ghost, old, undeletable database lingering here.