Please Upgrade Mysql

paladox2014

I second that request too for Stevie. While I understand that Stevie is in freeze status when it comes to updates for sake of stability, the state of mysql server is less than stable right now. This is mostly because it was pointed that newly (non corrupted) innodb tables can crash the server as well. This indicates a corrupt installation (corrupt innodb driver library or configuration).

As this is a minor update, php's mysql module won't need a rebuild (no ABI change).

This all may warrant the risk of an upgrade.

And this is assuming it is actually physically possible to do so as /usr on stevie appears to be completely full.

Administrators, please think about it for a few days.

Thank you.

Im pretty certain that we generally only use the versions supplied by cpanel since those are what it is tested with. If we do upgrade outside of cP updates, it is usually minor versions only.

Mysql 5.6 is only officially supported by a very new release of cP (11.42 from Jan 2014). The versions of cP we use are much older. In addition, 5.6 has been shown to use more memory and CPU, something which Johnny is already short on.

Long story short, we may see an update on Stevie if cPanel is upgraded again, so that may get a newer version at some point (which will likely still be very outdated). I would not expect 5.6 anytime soon on Johnny.

Is there really any needed feature in 5.6 anyway?

I know 5.5.3 brought 4byte characters in utf8 charset which johnny already has. But most scripts are fine with 5.1 and will continue to be so for the foreseeable future.

On my own computer, mariadb 10 (based on mysql 5.5 with mysql 5.6 patchset) uses around 30% more memory than mysql 5.5.

The best database server in terms of memory and efficiency that i have seen is postgresql but sadly wordpress doesn't support it.

I guess they use an old stable product line for the stability it offers.

However, .34 line is EOL now. So I guess (unless I miss something) that even on security related issues, no updates or patches will show up for this product line (same goes for .36 and 38).

As far as I can see, 11.42 is on stable tier for sometime now and I wonder if an upgrade could be considered safe by the admins :)

cPanel strongly recommends that you migrate any existing installations of cPanel & WHM version 11.34 to a newer version (either 11.38 or 11.40).