Avg Threat Labs Say Heliohost Possible Active Malware

sylvain

Hello i am concerned for the safety to and for all. I was curious and wanted to do an avg threat labs check on heliohost.org. I'm not sure if there data are correct, but when i did do a check it is said: Active Malware. Not sure if there data are true??

Also i have gone on http://www.virustotal.com choosed url and writen heliohost.org. Most say was safe except one. Here is the avg threat labs check: http://www.avgthreat.../heliohost.org/ . Just wanted to share the info, maybe it should be checked; also if it help the security of heliohost. Even could help to auto-update the cPanel to all.Then i'm glad to have helped, even if i'm not sure there data are correct? A+

We get people who set up phishing sites, malware C&Cs, spambots, etc. all the time, so that's probably right unfortunately. We suspend these threats as we find them or they get reported to us, and we run antivirus periodically (which suspends infected accounts). If you ever stumble upon such an account, you can post it here or email abuse@heliohost.org and we'll suspend it.

I just suspended two phishing accounts this morning...

The reason it flags the heliohost.org domain is because 99% of these accounts have a main domain of somesubdomain.heliohost.org. AVG doesn't know that the content on our subdomains is actually our user's content, and since there are probably multiple actively abusing our service at any one time, it flags the whole thing.

Thank's for the reply. Could you please look at my account, i'm on the server Stevie. I dont know much about website, but i believe that my personnal website is ok. You dont know me personnaly, but i know that my intentions are good. Still id would really appreciate that you do a check, and if necessary give some corrections to it. Specially i am not as advanced as the moderators and other high rank peoples; and its important for my self to always respect the peoples of heliohost and helionet. Thank's for your time! A+

I';ll assume you mean the site in your signature...I won't comment on content as a matter of practice, but for the layout / style:

I'd remove the big floating picture on the left side (looks horrible, and also breaks mobile support), your footer says Link 1 Link 2 Link 3, and the copyright year needs an update. The Links page is empty.

I'd recommend doing away with the dependency on Flash Player. The Search page does not work on mobile, and all pages show a big "Get Flash Player" button above the header text when on mobile. Works fine on a PC though.

All those buttons for monitors / counters / SEO snake-oil aren't exactly nice-looking, and most are useless anyway. I'd remove the Submit Express, reputation, and InternetSeer ones. Speaking of InternetSeer, switch to Uptime Robot...free, no spam/promos, and far better service (InternetSeer misses like 90% of the outages here on Heliohost since it doesn't check often enough). Put the SiteMeter and StatCounter icons below the footer. Remove the QR code (which is invalid according to my phone).

Seeing this appears to be made in plain HTML, a proper CMS might not be a bad idea...you might want to look at something like Joomla. Tons of templates available and far easier to manage than manually coding things.

Thank's for your help! I think change all the look, with my soft that i have buyed and some that are free and legal. Dont know how to make a search in html, and wonder if there is an easy full free no limit soft to make some search as the flash search engine on my personnal site; but most important legal!

It would be great if in the General Section, the administrators create a permanent sub section that could be called: Full Free Legal Soft and Resources. Just to help peoples, as i am that dont have much money and resources. Some examples of soft could be as OpenOffice, Inkscape, Gimp, etc. That peoples could mention and give a description. But should be related to creating pages and website. So it wont go in all directions, and hope will respect the peoples of heliohost and helionet.

Well i think i should maybe put a stop here. I dont want much that my reply's get out of the subject title; and to respect the forum. Gonna check what i can do with the fiew resources i have, for my personnal website.

Thank's again for having check a bit my personnal website. It's important for me to be sure that everythings is ok. Dont have much knowledge, finding free things and tips on the web to help my free personnal website. A+

If you're paying for a CMS, you're doing it wrong. Something like joomla or Drupal will do rather nicely here. I'd avoid Wordpress as it tends to get hacked easily even if up to date, since there's a lot of malicious extensions and themes for it.

A search function is usually built into many bigger content management systems. If you want to make one, you need to be using a database for your content so it can be searched (hence why I recommended a CMS). That actual search code is in SQL and php. The front end would be in html and sends a get request that is processed by the php.

If you want to talk about this more, perhaps post up in the website management and coding forum. :)