[Solved] Dns Entries For Ns1 Inconsistency

Piotr GRD

I've just spot that there is a small problem with the DNS entries for ns1.heliohost.org.

The glue record says that ns1 is on 65.19.143.3 and ns1 itself says the same, but (since Monday, October 5th, I guess) ns2 for some reason says that ns1 is on 64.62.211.131.

65.19.143.3 works fine and do answer for the DNS queries, but 64.62.211.131 do not.

I think you should fix the entry for ns1 on ns2. It looks like the problem from the past with various entries being not synchronised, but maybe that's just single error and other entries are fine, I didn't check any.

Ns1 is supposed to be on Stevie IIRC. 64.62.211.131 is Johnny's shared IP...I'm not surprised it won't resolve dns, there's no nameserver there.

The johnny account kuroneko has registered the ns1.heliohost.org as its main domain, which is why this happened. Escalating.

(...) account of some/any user has registered the ns1.heliohost.org as its main domain (...)

If so, then I'm surprised that after so many years there is still no any blacklist which would contain "ns1", "ns2", maybe also "smtp", "pop3" etc. kind of subdomains, any that could potentially cause the problems.

I'm always surprised too. I've definitely seen people register stevie.heliohost.org and johnny.heliohost.org before as well...

It's actually a valid (albeit empty) account on Johnny when visited. The result is sporadic though. Sometimes queued, sometimes an Index of /.

I removed the domain from the account by changing it to ns1.heliohost.invalid, so we'll see if it fixes itself or if Krydos will need to fix this manually.

Looks like the NS started working again after I removed its domain from that Johnny account.

We really do need a blacklist though. This is the third or fourth time since I've been here that someone registered a system subdomain.