is there a God?

• 5 months later...

i think that there is a god but i also think that you don't have to

be baptized

or pray

or even go to church i think that if god loves everyone then he is not going to send us to hell just because we didn't so these things

so you can say whatever you want but i know i am right.

-_-

I strongly believe that there is a God. This whole forum is really useful to me as in year 11 I am taking my RE Philosophy course. I finished my GCSEs a year early and so now I will be taking it. All of your views are respectful but despite what anyone says, I believe there is a God. There is "evidence" that there is no God and that we are all just crazy, but nuts to science.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

How can there even be the concept of a "big bang" if there is no God? How can something with no divine origin (creation) evolve? Yes there is a God.

DJBOB, I like you post. Thanks.

How can there even be the concept of a "big bang" if there is no God? How can something with no divine origin (creation) evolve? Yes there is a God.

XWinUser- Have you considered the possibility that the universe IS God? ;)

Perhaps we're miniscule elements of God's existence, performing tasks for a purpose which can never be comprehended by anything/one other than the universe/god itself. Perhaps we should stop thinking about it all and just live that existence?

With that said, does it matter? If you're in the mindset that you're determined to leave your affectable environment in a better state than when you entered it and manage to do so, I'm of the opinion that the question of a God's actual existence (With no particular religion in mind) is irrelevant.

• Like 1

I'm of the opinion that the question of a God's actual existence (With no particular religion in mind) is irrelevant.

Seriously.

One random theory that I think is fun to ponder is: What if all human minds are linked telepathically at a subconscious level that we aren't aware of, and each human mind is basically a synapse in the "mind" of "god"? Most of the time all us silly worker bees are just buzzing around thinking only of ourselves or essentially random things so the thoughts of this hive god would basically be like watching static on a tv, just randomness. However every once in a while if enough people pray for the same thing, or enough adrenaline induced focus forces that randomness to one clear intention. Maybe on the rare occasion that that single minded focus resolves something magical or a miracle can occur. Maybe Moses and his bros when confronted with death on one side and an ocean on the other actually all joined their minds together to part the sea? Maybe the reason miracles and craziness like that doesn't occur anymore is because disbelief and cynicism prevent the hive mind from resolving on a single image to make happen?

Fun stuff to think about anyway.

Krydos: Yep, seriously. Like many out there: it's not that I don't believe in higher power, I just don't believe in religion.

Outside of cultural expectations, I think you'll find that many cling to religion in fear of the unknown, or more specifically, death and some form of judgement. If there is something, I'd rather focus upon how I affect the existence of others and what legacy I'll leave when I'm gone, than deliberately go around chalking up points inorder to win the star prize. All that we know for sure is that our actions here; stay here and have effect beyond our lifespan. Perhaps it's better to focus upon those actions and future decisions than consider a higher being or plane of existence? After all, we'll never know the answer.

I'm of the opinion that the question of a God's actual existence (With no particular religion in mind) is irrelevant.

The being that people call "God" is formed from an abstract concept. This means that people have created order (an intelligent being who oversees the universe) from chaos (many random events that occur in the universe that have no particular correlation). People do this to be able to interpret, and make sense of, the universe around them.

If you think about it this way:

[iNPUT FROM SENSES] => (Algorithm to make sense of the universe) => [PREDICTION OF WHAT WILL HAPPEN]

The human brain searches for the "Algorithm to make sense of the universe" part to be able to understand the universe. For many, this algorithm, or explanation, is a belief system, in which people will predict that good things will happen if they remain faithful to their system. For others, that belief system is science. Of course, this is a huge oversimplification of the systems, and some may even combine the two to create their own (system/explanation/algorithm/however you see it) for explaining the universe. In every case, people will modify their system to match the environment around them, no matter what their belief system is. For example, neither science nor religion is the same as it was a few hundred years ago. Science did not have the standard model, and religion believed that the sun was the center of the universe.

Taking all of this into account, we will now ask the question "does it really matter?" I don't know, and can't provide that answer. To do so would be to make a subjective statement, one that has infinitely many ways to prove or disprove it.

I can definitely see where humans try to rationalize God and the universe we live in.

I do think some people use religion as a way to steer society but I do not think true peace comes from people. Man is inherently moving away from God's rules and peace.

Men left to their own devices will gravitate towards chaos.

I don't think there were ever or will ever be people who are just enough to create rules that bring peace. God created those rules and some people use them whether they believe in God or not.

In other words they may take the credit for those rules or people may try to give them credit.

The being that people call "God" is formed from an abstract concept. This means that people have created order (an intelligent being who oversees the universe) from chaos (many random events that occur in the universe that have no particular correlation). People do this to be able to interpret, and make sense of, the universe around them.

If you think about it this way:

[iNPUT FROM SENSES] => (Algorithm to make sense of the universe) => [PREDICTION OF WHAT WILL HAPPEN]

The human brain searches for the "Algorithm to make sense of the universe" part to be able to understand the universe. For many, this algorithm, or explanation, is a belief system, in which people will predict that good things will happen if they remain faithful to their system. For others, that belief system is science. Of course, this is a huge oversimplification of the systems, and some may even combine the two to create their own (system/explanation/algorithm/however you see it) for explaining the universe. In every case, people will modify their system to match the environment around them, no matter what their belief system is. For example, neither science nor religion is the same as it was a few hundred years ago. Science did not have the standard model, and religion believed that the sun was the center of the universe.

Taking all of this into account, we will now ask the question "does it really matter?" I don't know, and can't provide that answer. To do so would be to make a subjective statement, one that has infinitely many ways to prove or disprove it.

• 1 month later...

I'm 100% sure that EVERYONE believes in some sort of god. And if they say they don't, they're lying to themselves. I personally am an Agnostic and I don't agree with many religion based things (especially from Christians) but I'm pretty sure there is something greater than us that created us.

One theory of mine is also that, we are our own gods. Every human being that you encounter, everyone, is his own god. Why? It all started about 5 years ago, when I was 12 and I watched some cartoon. I then asked myself randomly...What if I'm the one that controls this world? And every other person has it's own world that he/she controls? What if I'm the center of the universe? But every person I see has it's own universe? Then I realized that what I was asking myself...actually made sense! And I'm sometimes still asking myself this. And sometimes, it just looks as if I'm right. People do things based on my emotions, and I don't mean that if I'm sad people cheer me up. But then again, I may just as well imagine all this stuff.

This is what's so fun about it. You. Never. Know. But is it important? Is it more important to try and prove that something exists your whole life instead of enjoying it? All we have is one life so, instead of just bashing ourselves with irrelevant questions, we might just as well enjoy our life more, and spend more time thinking of how to make life enjoyable for our future generations!

Hope that made sense! - The relative kitten, Fulf.

• 1 month later...