[Solved] Is Curl Disabled?

techmex

I am trying to use cURL but am just getting 500 errors

Has cURL been disabled?

Here is the code I am using:

$ch = curl_init();
       curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_URL, 'http://gaia.glyndwr.ac.uk:8015/courses_alpha.htm');
       curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_RETURNTRANSFER, 1);
       $site = curl_exec($ch);
       curl_close($ch);

cURL is allowed, but I believe connections on port 8015 are not. We generally only allow "normal" ports. Try doing a cURL for something normal like Google.com and see if it works. It probably will...

Another cause may be the server being overloaded. It's normal for Johnny. On Stevie you probably hit the process limit due to having too many things open at once (cPanel is usually a killer on Stevie accounts, so log out, wait a few minutes and try again). Be aware that on Stevie, cURL is an easy way to get suspended for load too.

Just be aware you likely won't find a free one that does. I've used most free host services (mostly testing), and they all either said "nope" or "pay us" when I asked their support about port issues.

If you want, I can ask krydos about unblocking this, but no guarantee on what he'll say.

It's only for a small uni project, it grabs timetables from their site so it isn't particularly intensive

I've rewritten the part that grabs the timetables and it stores them in a database, but it would be nice if I could use live timetables

I'll escalate this for you and we'll see what Krydos says.

@Krydos: Anything we can do about supporting the live timetables for him? He needs port 8015 open outbound so his script can connect to his university to get what appears to be schedule data.

Thank you so much, that's perfect!

It will receive virtually no requests as it's just a proof of concept for uni, but it's working like a charm

It's a SatNav for a local map with multiple floors incase you would like to take a look (doubt it very much but hey!) :)

Thanks! As a free service we don't have an advertising budget because we would rather invest all of the money that we do have into providing better service and improving the servers so we really appreciate the word of mouth recommendations that our satisfied users provide. Feel free to post about us on social media like twitter, facebook, hosting review sites, your personal websites or blogs, and anything else you can think of. As long as we have clients using our service Heliohost will continue to exist.