[Answered] New User Wanting To Use A Domain

jrimer2

Hello Wolstech, yes, I see it in my account, I added it today. I have juist confirmed there is no redirect, and If you go there, I get your default page that says account qued, and the adds and information for logging in to the control panel. You can visit jaredrimer.com to confirm.

Here is the ping:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]

Copyright © 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Jared>ping jaredrimer.com

Pinging jaredrimer.com [216.218.192.170] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 216.218.192.170: bytes=32 time=35ms TTL=55

Reply from 216.218.192.170: bytes=32 time=34ms TTL=55

Ping statistics for 216.218.192.170:

Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 34ms, Maximum = 35ms, Average = 34ms

C:\Users\Jared>

Yep, what you're experiencing is the process of it being configured. Your domain already did the DNS portion of its setup based on that ping (216.218.192.170 is Stevie, which is correct for your account), so you're just waiting on Apache now.

The Account Queued message is normal until Apache restarts during nightly, so you need to just wait out the 24 hours. After that, it will work (you may need to clear your cache once the 24 hours is up).

If you're interested: the technical reason is that Apache uses Virtual Hosts to direct different domains to different web roots. cPanel adds a virtual host to Apache's config for your domain when you add it to your account, but that newly edited config file isn't loaded until Apache restarts. If Apache is asked to serve a domain that isn't in the loaded configuration, it serves the default "Account Queued" page. When it restarts during nightly, the new config file will load and Apache will finally recognize your domain and serve your content.

Thats the difference between your service and most I've been with. Usually its active within hours with binds across the network where a sub domain can be active within hours. So i am pointing to the right spot which I wanted to make sure of.

cPanel servers all work the same way...most just have the various services set to restart a lot more often than we do (some actually do it immediately upon change, one host I've used you could add a domain in cPanel and it worked in <10 minutes). But those guys have entire farms for their hosting company (and the huge amount of resources that come with that)...we have 2 little boxes (soon to be 3).

The thing is, these processes cause load spikes when they reload, so we just do it once a day during a low-load period to reduce its impact on sites that are already working.

Something strange is going on...it's still not showing as added (let alone working) on my end. I'm going to give it the full 24 hours (until this afternoon) to see, but if it's still not working, I'll ask the root admins about your domain for you.

Hello Wolstech,

I read your messages this morning through E-mail and the link through safari today. This is unacceptable, as I was told 24 hours for the domain to work, and I am already pointing to your server. My subdomain already works, but my form is broken because I have it pointing to jaredrimer.com and not my sub-domain. I used the sub domain to make sure things were stable and working. As a reference, i put the domain on the account I believe Sunday after 10am US pacific time. It is almost 4:30 PM. I hope tomorrow it is working, because I want to continue setting up things, but doncan't because of the domain issue. Want to set up a mailing list for my clients, and also make sure that this form works. I can't do anything until the domain works on your server. Hoping i hear better news, keep me posted. Thanks for trying.

I'm just as confused as to why this doesn't work as you are :( Everything appears correct on your end. The only thing I'm worried about is the fact that the domain refuses to show up in the management tools. Stevie usually has no issues (as evidenced by the nearly 10000 domains it happily hosts). I have 3 domains on Stevie myself, one of which sees decent traffic.

I'm wondering if something got screwed up when you moved servers...I've seen Johnny break Stevie accounts before.

Please advise what I should do next then. I hope i don't have to delete and wait weeks on end until i can sign up. Do you need log in details for jaredrimer.heliohost.org so you can check whether things are set up correctly per instructions I should normally know how to do and I know I did Sunday morning? I could try to add it as an addon domain too, but don't know if that would be a good idea. Haven't done addons since I was hosted somewhere else where I oleft for other reasons.