Stevie Progress

HelioHost

After a over a week of hundreds of emails back and forth between the Heliohost admins and the Hurricane Electric technicians on site in the datacenter with our servers we have made some progress with Stevie. We were able to get very limited access to Stevie's hardware, and have verified that it is possible to access the data on his hard drives. We have purchased, specially configured, and are mailing a new piece of hardware to California that the Hurricane Electric technicians can hook up to Stevie that should allow us remote access to begin taking backups of user's data. As usual, the innodb databases are probably lost, but we should be able to backup the contents of your public_html directories and your MyISAM databases. Time will tell for sure if we're able to do this, but we're hopeful and wanted to let everyone know how the progress with Stevie is going. We suspect the reason Stevie won't boot up is a hardware failure on the aging server. Stevie has been in service with the same hardware since July 21st, 2008 so he provided us with exceptional uptime for well over 8 years. That's pretty amazing for a free hosting server with over 10,000 accounts. We are planning on buying some new hardware for Stevie so that in January or February when an admin visits Stevie we will install it, and we fully intend to get him running again.

In the meantime we recommend creating an account on Tommy if you need the same excellent uptime that you've enjoyed on Stevie for so many years. In fact Tommy is a huge improvement over Stevie. Not only does he offer Java .jsp/.war, and .NET .aspx like Johnny, but he also offers five different versions of PHP that you can choose from for each directory or domain that you host. Tommy also offers domain creation in 30 minutes or less instead of the standard 24 hours like previous Heliohost servers, so if you want to get your website back online as soon as possible Tommy is the way to go. On Tommy everyone can have free SSL for their domains by installing a free Let's Encrypt certificate on our SNI enabled system instead of having to pay $12 for a dedicated IP like you used to need to do on Stevie. With multiple hardware issues on our servers lately we are losing money and are at risk of going out of business entirely. So if you can please send us a donation of whatever you can spare to https://www.paypal.me/HelioHost it will go a long way to keep Heliohost in existence and will allow us to continue providing free hosting to everyone around the world who aren't so lucky to be able to afford to donate. We appreciate any donation no matter how large or small you can afford. Within 24 hours of making your donation we will send an exclusive invitation at the email address you sent the donation from to create an account on Tommy whenever is convenient to you. If you want to reuse your username, or domains from Stevie just let us know and we can help you transfer them.

It should go without saying, but we're doing everything we can to get you your data from his hard drives and get him back up and running as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and understanding during this very unexpected downtime on Stevie.

• Like 1

Best of luck with everything. Keep us updated with how donations go, I'm sure a lot of people would be down to helping to keep Heliohost afloat :)

I may be able to donate some more when I get my yearly bonusses.

Cheers,

You have to set them up again on a new account.

If you want to do that now, post the domains and username in question and a root admin can delete them for you (the account on Stevie won't be deleted, just the DNS records will, and the username will change so you can reuse it. You can get your data later).

Keep us updated with how donations go, I'm sure a lot of people would be down to helping to keep Heliohost afloat :)

Yeah, we've gotten a lot of $1 donations, $5 donations stuff like that. It all adds up though. We've gotten one very generous $100 donation. It's really interesting to see all the different currencies we've gotten from all over the world too.

I may be able to donate some more when I get my yearly bonusses.

That would be amazing!

Does this mean we will be able to somehow get backup of our sites? I do have full backup of my public_html, what I miss is hundreds of emails.

Yes, it looked like all of the files were intact. The thing that will be tricky or impossible to backup is innodb databases, and other things like that which need a functioning service to backup properly. For innodb we'll probably be able to provide you with the files, and you can try to extract the data from them.

Hello, please also backup PostgreSQL databases if you get a chance

We can definitely provide the database files, but I'm not sure how hard it is to extract the data from them. If it's like myisam databases it's really easy, but if it's like innodb databases. Based on what I've read it should be as easy as copying the old data files over. We'll see when we get there.

I really need that data and my most recent backup is apparently four years old :(.

Ouch. I'm sure you realize this already, but if anyone else is reading everyone should really make frequent backups.

Thanks for giving the update.

No problem.

I would be thankful if the account could be migrated to Tommy. Please let me know if there's any procedure to migrate the account.

To migrate an account while the source server is offline you'll need the help of an admin to remove your old username, and any domains you want to transfer over. Just let us know.

i will definately donate! u guyz rock!!!

Thanks!

Much appreciate the info. I've been using you guys for years and the service has been great.

Thanks!

Please do keep us updated on our files,

Will do.

As soon as I get money I intend on donating, gl guys,

Edit: I did donate a lil bit, I don't have much but I hope it helps.

Thanks, every little bit helps.

Thanks for updates.

No problem.

What happens to addon domains, MX records, DNS settings for domains in the event Stevie is lost?

Addon domains can be deleted by an admin so you are able to recreate them on your new account. MX records will update themselves to the new server if you use our nameservers. The DNS settings that you need to set at your registrar are ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org. Once you do that all the MX records and A records and CNAME and everything will be set to correct values by our system automatically.