Stevie To Tommy, Maybe

IFeelStupid

Hello, my user name in heliohost is feeldumb. It seems that my accounts were all on Stevie, so I cannot log in now. I guess I should try and move my stuff to Tommy, but I have, basically, no idea how to accomplish this.

It seems I had 4 domains (websites) set up on Stevie, none of which can be accessed now. They are (were):

teaseleather.tk
cbeacctg.tk
entiaacctg.tk
honeywebph.tk

I have no idea if this is the correct way to request an account on Tommy. I hope so.

Oh, yes, I did manage to get my user backup file feeldumb.tar.gz. However, it seemed to have nothing inside. It was only 45 bytes long, and when I opened it, it said it had feeldumb.tar (10,240 bytes), but I cannot see anything in there. I believe (hope) I have backups of the websites and will be able to recreate them.

I see some references to having to change my user name or password in order to use Tommy. Can i avoid this? Do you think I should avoid this?

I look forward to your help

If you could afford a dollar or two that would be enough. Otherwise you could signup with the Johnny server but he can be really slow at times because of the program languages he offers.

http://bybyron.net/helio/sign-up.php

All of those domains and including your main domain (BlueGemz.heliohost.org) have been freed up. You can now signup with the same username. If you receive a Tommy invite, we'll need to change your Helionet forum name temporally so you can signup. Please post back if you need that done.

Well, I clicked the link you gave me. Says it resets in 18 hours 41 minutes, which will be 8 am here.

Would 98 cents be enough of a donation for Tommy? Sorry, I am really poor.

When I am on (eventually) Johnny or Tommy, do I have to change my DNS settings (my .tk sites are through freenom, which used to be dot.tk)?

Will my sites be the same functionally on either of these servers? I am going to have enough trouble just finding my backups and restoring them. Will softalicous update my wordpress sites properly?

Will I still be feeldumb? Will my password need to be changed?

Sorry for all the stupid questions.

Would 98 cents be enough of a donation for Tommy? Sorry, I am really poor.

Yes, but we encourage people to donate at least a dollar because if the donation is too small then Paypal keeps all the money in fees and we don't get any of it.

When I am on (eventually) Johnny or Tommy, do I have to change my DNS settings (my .tk sites are through freenom, which used to be dot.tk)?

No, Stevie and Johnny and Tommy all use the same nameserver settings: ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org. If you have them set correctly from before the rest of the settings are updated automatically by our systems.

Will my sites be the same functionally on either of these servers?

It will probably function better. Both Johnny and Tommy have a lot of features, such as SNI and PHP 5.4+, that Stevie didn't have.

I am going to have enough trouble just finding my backups and restoring them. Will softalicous update my wordpress sites properly?

Probably. If not let us know and we'll try to help.

Will I still be feeldumb? Sorry for all the stupid questions.

Take the attitude of a student, never be too big to ask questions, never know too much to learn something new.

-Og Mandino

Will my password need to be changed?

You will set a new password when you create your new account.

OK, say I donate $0.98 - how much do you get then? If I donated a dollar, how much more would you get? (I will need to use paypal to do this).

Then I get an email saying I am invited to Tommy?

And I follow some link in the email to create an account on Tommy? Or will my feeldumb account be there?

And, hurray, I did as full a backup download from heliohost using filezilla on June 2 of this year!!

I assume all my email, however, will need to be set up again. I had a lot of email accounts there.

I will attempt to just put back the files for my 4 websites, and try and get them working again.

Do you know what directories and files I would have to restore to get at least some of my email accounts working again? Is that even possible, would the passwords all be screwed up?

I do not see anything that I can identify that has anything to do with bluegemz.heliohost.org. Would that have gone to public_html? (I think that was linked to the www directory?)

OK, say I donate $0.98 - how much do you get then? If I donated a dollar, how much more would you get? (I will need to use paypal to do this).

Then I get an email saying I am invited to Tommy?

And I follow some link in the email to create an account on Tommy? Or will my feeldumb account be there?

And, hurray, I did as full a backup download from heliohost using filezilla on June 2 of this year!!

I assume all my email, however, will need to be set up again. I had a lot of email accounts there.

I will attempt to just put back the files for my 4 websites, and try and get them working again.

Do you know what directories and files I would have to restore to get at least some of my email accounts working again? Is that even possible, would the passwords all be screwed up?

I do not see anything that I can identify that has anything to do with bluegemz.heliohost.org. Would that have gone to public_html? (I think that was linked to the www directory?)

The 2 cents likely won't make too much of a difference in fees (Krydos, correct me if I'm wrong here). I think it's people donating $0.25 and the like that cause us to get nothing. We do generally ask for at least $1 though if you can.

You will get an email at your paypal email address that will contain a link to create the Tommy account. Note that it doesn't come immediately (Krydos sends them manually).

You have a backup, good.

Yes, email needs to be set up again. Do this through cPanel. You can set your passwords when you recreate the mail accounts.

The files in public_html should be uploaded into your new account's public_html folder. Databases will need to be created in cPanel, then have their backup imported. Software that uses them will need the config file edited to use the new database names/users/passwords (this process and the file you need to edit is different for different programs).

Yes, the something.heliohost.org subdomain on an account always points to public_html.

Ah, well, I waited until after 8am, when I tried to get into Johnny I was told it was full, and to wait 21 hours and 5 minutes to try again. I used my email:

jwells2054@yahoo.com

I assume I cannot get into Johnny no matter how long I wait. And Stevie and Tommy are closed.

I am unsure now if I must get my username (feeldumb) or my email reset, before I try donating 98 cents and see if i can get in Tommy. I assume there is no point in waiting for Stevie to be fixed.

I assume I cannot get into Johnny no matter how long I wait. And Stevie and Tommy are closed.

Signups were open on Johnny for almost 3 hours today http://heliohost.grd.net.pl/monitor/archive/?2016-12-26 We've been slowly increasing the number of Johnny accounts that can be created each day so it will keep getting easier too.

I am unsure now if I must get my username (feeldumb) or my email reset, before I try donating 98 cents and see if i can get in Tommy.

If you make the donation your existing email validation code will be deleted from the system automatically, and replaced with a special Tommy invite validation code that allows you to make a Tommy account whenever is convenient for you.

I assume there is no point in waiting for Stevie to be fixed.

No, Stevie's hard drive is toast. All we can do is transfer as much data as possible off and then remove the fried hard drive and toss it in the bin. We'll be buying him some new hardware and rebuilding him, but it might not be until February when we get started with that process.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, good. I was there at http://bybyron.net/helio/sign-up.php, and when it went to zero, selected Tommy.

However, what happened was I was sent an email to verify, then given a questioner to fill out, and by the time (3 minutes) Tommy was full.

OK, tomorrow, if I am available, I can hit my email to verify, and have https://www.heliohost.org/signup/server/ up and ready.

Anyway, thank you.

I see feeldumb.heliohost.org still shows up on the DIG (http://heliohost.grd.net.pl/dns-checker/). But feeldumb does not show at

https://www.heliohost.org/status/?u=feeldumb.

My email shows awaiting validation. Guess I am as ready as I can be. Thanks again!

And I guess I need to wait until I actually have a Tommy account before I try and get it so my addon (parked) domains do NOT require my 4 websites to be subdomains (not need public_html/ as part of the website root). I saw someone got that for his account, but I also saw he was complaining that it was undone after a week (and apparently only Krydos can do that). Oh well.

I also guess I need the Tommy account before I can tell Tommy I want to be user feeldumb.

Ah well, I was once told by a wise woman "Good, fast, cheap, pick any two." So this is not going so fast, still it is good, and it is in my price range ($0.00). I admit it is mildly annoying to get my websites moved from Stevie to Johnny, but not actually have them there long enough to get them to work before Johnny went down, but I have high hopes that Tommy will be OK (assuming I can ever get my websites set up on Tommy). And you guys did hold up my 5 websites, and answered a bunch of dumb questions, and were really very helpful. Thanks again.

Well, I waited until midnight, watching very carefully at

http://bybyron.net/helio/sign-up.php

and all set on

https://www.heliohost.org/signup/server/

but it did not even open for 1 minute, or even 5 seconds.

Here is a quote from https://www.heliohost.org/signup/server/

Based on your selections I recommend you start on the Tommy server, but it is currently full. You will need to wait 23 hours and 60 minutes for signups to reopen.

23 hours and 60 minutes, so not even 1 minute open.

So that was a bust.

Hope I am doing this correctly.