Uptime On Tommy, Php Info On Tommy And Adding A Domain Questions

mlex

Hi,

1) As far as I got it, the Tommy server should be a way stable and reliable one than Johnny, but currently the uptime of Johnny is 100%, while Tommy's 98%. I understand there may be hundredths of reasons for that, but may you please tell me why is this actually so atm?

2) I'm using the Tommy server currently and I can't find PHP Info with both of the templates provided. How can I check what current version am I using atm?

3) I have my own domains(couple of them), and I want one of them to replace the subdomain of the heliohost, and use others as parked domains. Am I able to do that - to delete the subdomain of heliohost, so it will be only available to access the site with my own domain(or other parked domains of my)?

Edit:

Okey, I think I found the PHP version - it's on the "Server Information" link, at the right column of the paper_lanter theme.

It says PHP version is 5.6.24... Is there any info on when it will be upgraded to 7?

Edit 2:

I've just noticed not my IP address at the "Last Login" area. That IP was 65.19.***.* -- is that someone from Admins or...?

PHP 7.x is available. You can select what version is used for each domain on your account here: https://tommy.heliohost.org:2083/frontend/paper_lantern/multiphp_manager/index.html

You can change your main domain through the Heliohost.org website (note that it's in the "Heliohost tools", not in cPanel. Alternately, post your username and domain and I'll change it for you.

The uptime information isn't always accurate, and Tommy was down for a few minutes once or twice yesterday. Johnny is a little faster right now because he is freshly rebuilt and only has a few accounts compared to Tommy. However, Johnny has fewer restrictions, allows more resources per account, and is on much older hardware. It's more prone to downtime from overloading and abuse than Tommy. Johnny also does not support any version of PHP other than 5.6. Load and uptime history can be seen at: http://heliohost.grd.net.pl/monitor/

The 65.19.143.x address is our website and management server. It's normal, especially if you use https://heliohost.org/ to log in. You can also log in directly: https://tommy.heliohost.org:2083/

Thanks a lot, Wolstech!

As for domain, do I need to do anything else, except of changing the domain's nameservers for ns1.heliohost.org ns2.heliohost.org and updating at the "Heliohost tools"?

And at the files structure, it goes like this:

/home/myacc_name

etc

myacc_name.heliohost.org

public_html

cgi-bin

Now, when I use the form of addon domains, there's a subdomain and document root input areas, what if

a) I don't want a subdomain name - can I skip it, or what are my options?

b ) the document root is for separating the content from two(or more) domains, am I getting this right? If so, where will be the folder created, in the "etc" folder, or in the "public_html/my_new_domain_name"? Because obviously, if it will be in the public_html ( and it will, as far as I got it ) it will be accessible from my original domain name, right? like "my_old_domain_name.com/my_new_domain_name". What am I able to do here, if it is really so(except .htaccess)?

Assuming your home folder is /home/username/, your main domain's document root will always be /home/username/public_html/

Yes, addon domains have their own document root so you can have different content on the addon domains. The field in cPanel is from the root of your home folder, so putting "public_html/mydomain.com" in the document root field creates a folder /home/username/public_html/mydomain.com/ which would be the root for your addon domain. You can create the docroot for an addon domain outside of public_html, but we do not recommend this.

.htaccess is one solution for preventing addon docroots from being reachable from the main domain. Another solution some of our users use is making everything an addon domain. They'll keep a something.heliohost.org subdomain as the main domain and put Deny from all in .htaccess. Then they add every domain they actually want to use as an addon domain instead, each with its own docroot folder inside public_html. Both solutions will work.

I personally don't do anything to prevent such access on my account. (See http://www.acmine.tk/ and http://www.raxsoft.com/acmine/)

/home/myacc_name

etc

myacc_name.heliohost.org

The etc directory is for mail. myacc_name.heliohost.org would translate to the email address myacc@name.heliohost.org and all the email for that address are stored as files in there. I highly recommend not messing with anything in the etc directory or deleting it because it will break your account.

Thanks, now it's more clear.

One more question(or perhaps should I open a new topic for that?):

Obviously, one of the core reasons behind new domains is to separate two(or more) sites, right, so basically my question is it really separate them - not only by folder logic, but also by system resources? Or the resources still shared as it would be one account/site? so to say no difference between one account - one domain/site, to multiple accounts - one domain/site for each?

The domains separate content. Resources are shared and tracked by account. If anything on your account (doesn't matter which domain) uses too many resources, the whole account and all of its domains get suspended.

Also, while you can have unlimited domains, you're only allowed to have one account. Creating multiple accounts is against the terms of service and will get you suspended.

I have 4 domains on my account and have never had an issue though, so unless your code is poorly written or a site gets abused, it's usually not an issue.