Meaning of life

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

not necesarily, because happiness for someone ( A LOT of people ) is exactly that chase for truth ;)

No, a seemingly endless quest which has not beared any fruit it what causes unhappiness. You will feel like you have failed, especially against the one who just enjoy the moment and achieve happiness in that way. A search or chase is the last thing you need.

• 3 years later...

The meaning of life:

the condition that distinguishes organisms from inorganic objects and dead organisms, being manifested by growth through metabolism, reproduction, and the power of adaptation to environment through changes originating internally.

the sum of the distinguishing phenomena of organisms, especially metabolism, growth, reproduction, and adaptation to environment.

the animate existence or period of animate existence of an individual:

a corresponding state, existence, or principle of existence conceived of as belonging to the soul:

eternal life.

the general or universal condition of human existence:

• 4 weeks later...

It is quite likely that there was no intelligence involved in the creation of our species or even the simplest life forms on earth. Therefore one could say that we don't have a purpose.

Nevertheless, I believe that one should aim to live a happy life and also make other people happier too. With all those problems in the world, a selfish life is a life without substance.

Also, it would be awesome if science was able to make us live forever at some point in the future. Nanotechnology maybe.. ?

I don't believe in a being that cares for us and intervenes in human affairs. There is the "problem of evil".

• 8 months later...

I think for us individually, it's to figure out what we want to do and do it.... on a deep level. The reason most people are unhappy is because they don't do what they want, they do what someone else tells them to do (or the collective someone else i.e. society).

By doing what we want and being honest with ourselves about the results we grow. By growing individually, we evolve as a species.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...