Is evolution real?

Evolution  

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Evolution has to be real or else we humans wouldn't exist since we evolved from monkeys, right? Right and wrong, if you look at it from a purely scientific viewpoint then it would be right. If you looked at it from a purely religious viewpoint than God created everything. But if you looked at it from both viewpoints maybe God created the monkeys and we evolved from them.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't know why evolution is still considered a theory... Scientists have actually observed it happening on insects and things with very short lifespans. Surely that is evidence enough? Let alone all the fossil evidence there is!

Evolution has to be real or else we humans wouldn't exist since we evolved from monkeys, right?

Actually the theory of evolution clearly states that we did not evolve from a monkey, we simply shared a common ancestor. Many people have many common misconceptions about the theory as they don't spend the time to actually learn what it is about.

I don't know why evolution is still considered a theory... Scientists have actually observed it happening on insects and things with very short lifespans. Surely that is evidence enough? Let alone all the fossil evidence there is!

Because it is science. Science is never one-hundred percent sure. Laws only exist in mathematical equations. If any theory were to become a law, that would mean that everything (100%) of it must be fact. The truth of the matter is that will never happen. Even the theory of gravity is constantly changing. We will always build on our current knowledge base and make changes and revisions to our theories, no matter how trivial they are.

BTW: If there actually is a god, I really hope he didn't say "Let there be light" and all that neat stuff. I wouldn't want my god to be insane and talk to himself.

BTW: If there actually is a god, I really hope he didn't say "Let there be light" and all that neat stuff. I wouldn't want my god to be insane and talk to himself.

lol good stuff :)

Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind.

That's a nice quote to add in my collection.

If there's really GOD, where is Him when we pray for Him?

Why should He hide?

Let's be rational, we human only live once, don't obsess yourself in something that doesn't have real proof.

*Again, no offense on any religion, just piece of comment

• 1 month later...
That's a nice quote to add in my collection.

If there's really GOD, where is Him when we pray for Him?

Why should He hide?

Let's be rational, we human only live once, don't obsess yourself in something that doesn't have real proof.

*Again, no offense on any religion, just piece of comment

yea i know what you mean but u have to consider hes in our mind everyday and every second he can be seen because hes a not a thing cant be touched smelled or even hear the only way to reach him is through feeling you don't see him you feel him for EXAMPLE:

EXAMPLE:1

Time time is always on our min cant be see touched or smelled but you know its there and it can be felt through life and nature if you say god isnt real then you are saying that feelings aren't real so then u are not good person can the only thing or person or idk that has no feeling is death/satan/lucifer/demon/u?

think about everything be neutral don't go left go right =] :wub:

• 3 months later...

I personnaly studied paleoanthropology for 2 years and with all what i saw the only explanation of all the human fossils we find is that they are all proofs of evolution , I believe that god exist and he created every thing , it's clearly explained that he created life from water , and led every creature into it's final stage of evolution . (this is not the scientific theory , this is according to my religion) it also says that the universe is in an infinite expansion (proof of the big bang ).

• 1 month later...

This is from a creationists perspective:

(1) Evolution Is a Religion:

As Evolution is a theory, to take it as fact brings in an amount of Faith or Belief, therefore in my opinion making it no different from a religion.

""I do not believe in God, so my religious beliefs do not counter evolution""

(2) Evolution Is not Proven - It is a Theory:

As of yet, there has been no proof that evolution has or can occur. This include fossil records etc...

"There is physical proof of gradual change in animals until they become a new species (fossils)"

(3) Theory's are not called facts for a reason!

IM quite happy you guys brought up the theory of graverty in this, and i hope you all believe in evolution as much as you believe in 'Newton's theory of gravitation'. Why do i say this? Simple, because its wrong and we have known this for nearly 100 years. And when it comes to quantum mechanics we have to create a whole new set of theories because all our old ones FAILED to explain what was going on.

"Evolution is considered a theory. In Science (as I learned in school), a theory is a well-tested concept backed up by a good amount of evidence

Scientists believe it

It makes sense"

Notes:

"Everything evolves into a state in which it is more stable" Interesting point, considering evolution involves the INCREASE in complexity and many radioactive elements actually devolve (if you want to use that terminology) into less complex atoms.

"It's hard to argue against selective breeding, which is a process of evolution to a certain degree...(artificial evolution but still 'evolution' techincally speaking."

Let me get this right... you major in biology and STILL cannot see that selective breeding and evolution are different theories? And that selective breeding does not prove evolution?

"But If God created two humans (Adam and Eve) and all the creatures, did god create dinosaurs. Doesn't the bible say that god created earth, then light then humans (maybe not in that exact order but they were within days of each other)

So where do the dinosaurs come from? Dinosaurs lived before humans, and were extinct before humans, did the dinosaurs live grow up have multiple generations of child dino's then become extinct all within the first day of earth being created?"

Err no, Dinosaurs were created at the same time as man (within a few days), the entire concept of dinosaurs before humans is not a creationist concept. There is a theory saying that they came first - but no facts.

" Scientists have actually observed it happening on insects and things with very short lifespans. Surely that is evidence enough? Let alone all the fossil evidence there is!"

Actually no and no.

• 3 months later...

We have very very good evidence in favour of evolution. I find it very hard to believe that it is all a fabrication of sorts.

Not to mention, we OBSERVE evolution in our day to day lives!

For example:

Did you get a flu last year? And did you get one this year, again? Well, how on Earth?! You can only get one strain of disease ONCE, yet you clearly got the flu twice... Therefore, the only logical explanation is that the flu's strain signature CHANGED by EVOLVING (not by Magic, I can assure you that!), and your immune system had no immediate counter to it.

(1) Evolution Is a Religion:

As Evolution is a theory, to take it as fact brings in an amount of Faith or Belief, therefore in my opinion making it no different from a religion.

""I do not believe in God, so my religious beliefs do not counter evolution""

A scientist does not take evolution as fact. In fact we are 99% sure that the theory is wrong.

However, in general, we are making an educated guess that the theory is correct.

We are 99% sure that the general idea of the theory of evolution is correct.

(2) Evolution Is not Proven - It is a Theory:

As of yet, there has been no proof that evolution has or can occur. This include fossil records etc...

There is copious amounts of evidence (including fossils) that support the theory of evolution.

"There is physical proof of gradual change in animals until they become a new species (fossils)"

Yep

(3) Theory's are not called facts for a reason!

IM quite happy you guys brought up the theory of graverty in this, and i hope you all believe in evolution as much as you believe in 'Newton's theory of gravitation'. Why do i say this? Simple, because its wrong and we have known this for nearly 100 years. And when it comes to quantum mechanics we have to create a whole new set of theories because all our old ones FAILED to explain what was going on.

"Evolution is considered a theory. In Science (as I learned in school), a theory is a well-tested concept backed up by a good amount of evidence

Scientists believe it

It makes sense"

I did not state Newtonian gravity if I recall correctly.

However this just further proves my point. We know that on Earth has a gravitational pull. In general the Newtons theory of gravity worked. Then when it failed we altered it.

The theory of Evolution will fail. When it does it will be a great day in science because we will learn from it and generate a new theory (which will probably have the same general basis as evolution) which explains how organisms evolve.

"Everything evolves into a state in which it is more stable" Interesting point, considering evolution involves the INCREASE in complexity and many radioactive elements actually devolve (if you want to use that terminology) into less complex atoms.

They evolve into less complex atoms because this allows them to be more stable state.

"It's hard to argue against selective breeding, which is a process of evolution to a certain degree...(artificial evolution but still 'evolution' technically speaking.")

You consider selective breeding "artificial"? I don't know about you but I, as well as most other humans and species (hopefully) don't mate with any person of the corner.

In other words, we "select" who we mate with.

Let me get this right... you major in biology and STILL cannot see that selective breeding and evolution are different theories? And that selective breeding does not prove evolution?

I'm guessing you don't have a major of any kind in the subject.

"But If God created two humans (Adam and Eve) and all the creatures, did god create dinosaurs. Doesn't the bible say that god created earth, then light then humans (maybe not in that exact order but they were within days of each other)

So where do the dinosaurs come from? Dinosaurs lived before humans, and were extinct before humans, did the dinosaurs live grow up have multiple generations of child dino's then become extinct all within the first day of earth being created?"

Err no, Dinosaurs were created at the same time as man (within a few days), the entire concept of dinosaurs before humans is not a creationist concept. There is a theory saying that they came first - but no facts.

I loved going through the creationist museum. It was almost as interesting as visiting the Flat Earth Society's website.

I loved how they had the saddle on one of the dinosaurs (insinuating we rode the like horses).

My favorite thing was their explanation for why we don't find any human fossils from the same time period as dinosaurs (more than just a few days apart).

Their explanation?

The dinosaurs ate all of the fossils.

" Scientists have actually observed it happening on insects and things with very short lifespans. Surely that is evidence enough? Let alone all the fossil evidence there is!"

Actually no and no.

You would fit in great at the Flat Earth Society. All you have to do is come up with BS answers and blame everything else on the other persons idiocy or call it a conspiracy.

Looks like you've been training.

Except for this one your answer was just "no."

"Isn't solar panels, looking at the sun, and scientific evidence enough to prove that the sun emits light?"

"no, no, and no" < ----- this is equivalent to your response.

• 4 months later...

No i doubt it exists - maybe on a small level but i doubt the whole monkey-to-human thing, because then why are there no half-monkey human things?

On the other hand - Lego evolution DOES exist! It started out as a small, 1x1 block...

Did you get a flu last year? And did you get one this year, again? Well, how on Earth?! You can only get one strain of disease ONCE, yet you clearly got the flu twice... Therefore, the only logical explanation is that the flu\'s strain signature CHANGED by EVOLVING (not by Magic, I can assure you that!), and your immune system had no immediate counter to it.

yeah...it turned into swine flu :(

Not really but close enough.

I thought the big dude upstairs (at least from Christianity) made two people, and everyone else descended from them. Then when they were making a tower to the dude\'s house, he got mad and made everyone speak different languages, and so different cultures emerged from that.

I don\'t personally believe that the Universe is 6k years old.

Woah you just summed up almost all of the first book of the bible (Genesis) in a couple sentences @_@

You believe in gravity and it's something you can't see, smell or touch, but you can feel it. Well God is like that with me, only I can see him in ways that most people wouldn't understand.

Cheers :)

That's a really good one :)

• 1 month later...
Do you believe in what scientists (and everyone else) call evolution?

I do believe in evolution, but I do understand people do not think evolution is real because of their religious beliefs. So, I want to see what people here think of evolution.

Tell your side of the story here.

Reasons I believe in evolution:

• I do not believe in God,so my religious beliefs do not counter evolution
  • There is physical proof of gradual change in animals until they become a new species (fossils)
  • Evolution is considered a theory. In Science (as I learned in school), a theory is a well-tested concept backed up by a good amount of evidence
  • Scientists believe it
  • It makes sense

I believe in micro evelouthion, not macro evolution.

The fossile record has to many gaps and can not account for the large changes.

Although Eve\olution is call a theory, it is actually a model not a theory. As you indicated, a Theory is well tested and can provide reproducable results on a consistent basis, this is not the case with evolution.

If you look at the intracacy of DNA and cells, it doesn't make sence that it happened randomly.