Is it common to be down this often?

cmpadmin

Hi,

Just a simple question really. I am new to heliohost and since joining stevie I have found things to be unavailable more than available.

Just wondered if this is common or have I just been unlucky in that things have just been worse recently.

While my site is by no means going to be used on a coporate level, I will still be expected to provide a site that is stable.

If this is common I think I would have to look elsewhere.

Any insight you can provide would be of great help.

Thanks.

JD

On looking further I think I may have been premature.

It looks like its just not working for my site.

I believe there is some kind of DNS issue. I have tried from two different locations (home and work) who both use different ISP's.

The site does not seem to resolve from either location hence why I cannot access the site.

I have cleared my cache and flushed my DNS. However my corporate work DNS should not experience issues really. Also the fact that it happens from two separate locations suggest a wider issue to me.

Is there something I can do that will prevent DNS issues to my site?

Hi,

Just a simple question really. I am new to heliohost and since joining stevie I have found things to be unavailable more than available.

Just wondered if this is common or have I just been unlucky in that things have just been worse recently.

While my site is by no means going to be used on a coporate level, I will still be expected to provide a site that is stable.

If this is common I think I would have to look elsewhere.

Any insight you can provide would be of great help.

Thanks.

JD

On looking further I think I may have been premature.

It looks like its just not working for my site.

I believe there is some kind of DNS issue. I have tried from two different locations (home and work) who both use different ISP's.

The site does not seem to resolve from either location hence why I cannot access the site.

I have cleared my cache and flushed my DNS. However my corporate work DNS should not experience issues really. Also the fact that it happens from two separate locations suggest a wider issue to me.

Is there something I can do that will prevent DNS issues to my site?

Hi,

You should check the forum for information on when the server has issues. Whenever the server is down, there shall be information about this posted by the Admins on HelioNet, usually with tips of how to resolve. The downtime is usually short, about 24-hours. The frequency depends on Stevie/Johnny's mood. I have learnt to live with the downtimes, provided the Admins are doing something about it. On the DNS issues, am not of much help.

WWB.

I see your site fine? :) You might have been accessing while Stevie was experiencing a bit of downtime.

Here is the HelioHost Server Monitor which is quite handy:

http://heliohost.grd.net.pl/monitor

Also, you can use the Down For Everyone website which is also handy:

http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com/crazymo...s.heliohost.org

Yeah I had checked the Down for everyone site and it said it as running. It does not seem to effect everyone. Just seemed strange that I was having DNS issues on two of my ISP's while I know other people could see it.

Currently I can see the site though so something fixed.

Guest Geoff

I would not recommend using HelioHost's DNS as it is very unreliable. I have a .tk domain that uses a 3rd party DNS service and my site has great uptime.