[Solved] page stopped loading

naveh

My guess would be that it's because of ns2 being intermittently unavailable. And if such temporary "downtime" happend at the time when DNS records for new added domains/subdomains are trying to be synchronised between two nameservers - the process fail.

I may be wrong, of course. I can not be sure how exactly the process of synchronising the DNS records on both nameservers works.

If I'm right - solution would be either makes the ns2 more stable or doing a full sync of zones from time to time. Second solution may consume too much resources, though, depends on the number of domains and subdomains hosted.

As I wrote before, when there was only one (physically) nameserver - having physically two nameservers is much better for reliability, but process of synchronising them may be painful, depends how many DNS records are stored.

As I wrote before, when there was only one (physically) nameserver - having physically two nameservers is much better for reliability, but process of synchronising them may be painful, depends how many DNS records are stored.

I'm pretty sure there are two physical name servers. One is on stevie and one is on cody, which are different physical machines. Isn't that what you are saying, or do you mean one should be located somewhere else in the world instead of both being in the same datacenter?

Yes, since July 5th 2011 there are two separate nameservers. Previously it was physically only one.

Having one was less reliable (if one fail - everything fail - especially if it's on the same machine with overloading everything Johnny), but no need to synchronising anything.

Having two is better for reliability, but problems with synchronising the entries on it appear - as we can see for the second time within these 40 days already.

Okay, sync completed. Hopefully this issue should be resolved.

In the future, if one of you has a intermittent DNS issue and is technically inclined, try installing dig in a UNIX environment and compare the results of:

dig @ns1.heliohost.org yourdomain.com
dig @ns2.heliohost.org yourdomain.com

If the results are different (especially if one of the results does not exist), then we have a problem.

Piotr: I just checked, and they both have the same zone file right now. I'm guessing any issues right now are being caused by the intermittent downtimes? Let me know if this persists in 12 or so hours.

In 12 or even 24 hours ns2 still didn't return any entries for this specific subdomain (while it worked for all the others). I didn't check in 48, but ~70 hours later (now) it works fine. Let's blame recent problems with overloading upgrade process for the delay. ; )

And even not inclined technically people that don't know what the DIG is and how to use it, can use this online utility that I have created 2 days ago especially for this purpose:

HelioHost DNS Checker (DIG) - <a href="http://heliohost.grd.net.pl/dns-checker/" target="_blank">http://heliohost.grd.net.pl/dns-checker/</a>

It will let you query both HelioHost nameservers with just one click. Highlighted "answer section" should be the same on both servers - if not, then as djbob wrote: problem.

Cool utility. That could prove to be very useful.

By the way, Piotr GRD, I moved your post and pinned it in the customer service forum next to your pinned server monitor. Sorry for whisking your post away, but that is way too useful of a tool to have buried in this thread that will likely be closed and buried soon enough, and I wanted your account to be the thread creator. I usually hesitate to be so heavy handed in my moderation/editing, but here is where your post went: http://www.helionet.org/index/index.php?showtopic=10223 :blink: