Found Error in Wiki Page

PenTester

Then, change DNS records to point the subdomain to Cody's IP.

This would be the problem step. I have no clue how to change the DNS records; you can't just change bind.conf because it's managed by cPanel.

Then, change DNS records to point the subdomain to Cody's IP.

This would be the problem step. I have no clue how to change the DNS records; you can't just change bind.conf because it's managed by cPanel.

For that matter, the bind.conf (or, more commonly named.conf for other server admins) just contains the configuration for how the DNS server should run, not all the zone files. If you take a look in it (SSH,user@stevie# less bind.conf opens it for reading only so no harm), you should see something that says

zone "wiki.helionet.org" in {

type "master"; <----This line will differ based on the server you look at. You need to modify the one on the server that says master

file "some file location";

//maybe some other stuff here

}

*Note: above layout may be slightly different, I wrote that from memory and didn't consult my working set up.

The important part is that file "some file location". Somewhere near the top of the file you will most likely see a line that reads:

directory "/var/named"; (actual file path might be different)

This is essentially defining the base path for all the DNS files. Look for a file with the name given in that zone. When you find it, let me know because that is what we need to modify.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Alternatively, I WHMCS might have some sort of DNS manager in it that you can use to change the DNS records of domains in such. Since I try to avoid WHMCS at all costs, I can't tell you definitively if it does or does not.

I was looking online for the location where the zone files might be, and when I looked there were thousands of files with everyone's domains, like wiki.heliohost.org.zone.db. When I went into editing mode, the top line said something like '## Managed by cPanel 11.30 ##' so I decided not to touch them. :)

Would we need to access WHM in order to change the DNS? No idea what the username and password is for WHM.

I was looking online for the location where the zone files might be, and when I looked there were thousands of files with everyone's domains, like wiki.heliohost.org.zone.db. When I went into editing mode, the top line said something like '## Managed by cPanel 11.30 ##' so I decided not to touch them. :)

Would we need to access WHM in order to change the DNS? No idea what the username and password is for WHM.

Correct, there should be thousands of zone files, 1 for each domain in your DNS. Presumably with thousands of accounts there would be thousands of domains.

I don't know if WHM gives you the ability to change system defined zone records. I looked to see if I could modify similar records in cPanel and was unsuccessful. You need some place that lets you modify records for .heliohost.org domains though.

Hmm, well at the top of the zone file it did say

## Managed By cPanel 11.30 ##

Djbob might be able to do something, but he's not been very activate recently. I just tried logging into WHM using the usual admin user/pass and it didn't work; likely djbob only wants himself to have access to WHM and not the support admins.

Based on the Documentation (http://docs.cpanel.net/twiki/bin/view/AllDocumentation/WHMDocs/EditZone) it is probably best to change it WHM. It's probably doable the other way but why take chances. My opinion, give djbob a couple days, maybe until next week or so, and if not addressed by then manually edit the zone file and see what happens. Note that "editing the zone file" involves more than just changing the line with the IP address on it.