List Of Free Domain Providers

i7Grendel

• 2 weeks later...

I'm putting together a list of free domain providers, so others know what kind of free domains are available. The further down the list, the less I recommend it. Hosting providers who offer a free subdomain are not included on the list (domains should be hosting neutral).

BTW: "Free subdomain" is something else than "Free third-level domain". They look the same, but a Subdomain may give trouble with DNS management because it doesn't pass nameservers on (or something).

Free domain providers:

.tk - Free second-level domain from Tokelau.

.net.tc - Free third-level domain just like .uk.tc, .us.tc and other domains which can be registered there.

.tr.vu - Free third-level and fourth-level domains like .tr.vu and others (similar to previous).

.co.cc - Free third-level domain (blocked from Google).

.cu.cc - Free subdomain.

.ce.ms - Free subdomain.

.cz.cc - Free subdomain (blocked from Google).

.nl.eu.org - Free subdomain (example: nl.eu.org). You must be affiliated with the country related to the domain.

Free domain providers WITHOUT DNS:

.co.nr - Free subdomain (URL forwarding only, no DNS).

.com.co.in - Free subdomain (URL forwarding only, no DNS).

Unavailable free domain providers:

.free - Free second-level domain (GeoTLD) (will be released in 2013).

.co.tv - Free third-level domain (ending service - no new registrations are accepted and existing domains will be cancelled after end of registration period).

If you know a free domain provider which is not on this list, put it in the replies. If you have any noteworthy experiences with one of the free domain providers (which deserves being mentioned in the list), please provide that too.

hey, there are many free subdomain here http://freedns.afrai...n/registry/just , register on freedns, and you can use thousands of free subdomains. :D

• 3 weeks later...

The reason free TLD's are so rare, is because there is a signup fee of 200k USD + a yearly fee of approx. 20k USD (I think). That excludes the exorbitant amount of paperwork necessary. The reason they won't give domains away for free is because there is no way to finance that. And no-one has ever tried it. Let's hope .free and .site work properly.

The main difference between freedns.afraid.org and getfreedomain.name is that the guy of the latter is quite picky of his domains. He only picks third-level domains with DNS management (of some sorts) and with decent support and abuse/copyright teams. I once informed him of r.gd, and he rejected it because they didn't listen to abuse requests. With him, you can expect quality.

The reason free TLD's are so rare, is because there is a signup fee of 200k USD + a yearly fee of approx. 20k USD (I think). That excludes the exorbitant amount of paperwork necessary. The reason they won't give domains away for free is because there is no way to finance that. And no-one has ever tried it. Let's hope .free and .site work properly.

The main difference between freedns.afraid.org and getfreedomain.name is that the guy of the latter is quite picky of his domains. He only picks third-level domains with DNS management (of some sorts) and with decent support and abuse/copyright teams. I once informed him of r.gd, and he rejected it because they didn't listen to abuse requests. With him, you can expect quality.

But I wonder how .Tk survives then ? They are also free, no ?

But I wonder how .Tk survives then ? They are also free, no ?

That is because .tk is a country code, not a generic TLD. They do not have to pay these prices because they are a country, not a company. .tk was given to a country called Tokelau, but they only have about 1000 inhabitants and they won't really need that much websites. So they gave the management to a Dutch company called Dot TK BV to manage it. And they give some of the money they earn with premium domains and parking pages back to Tokelau to "make the people more self-sufficient" as Dot TK's website says.

TL;DR: It's a country, they don't need to pay that sum, they get it for free.

• Like 1