Windows 8 Dev Preview

xwinuser

Ok Win 8 Dev Pre is not even in Beta so complaining about bugs does not really make sense BUT I have to say I really do not like the Metro UI they are using. This is

the tablet like GUI. I few days after install, all the pre-installed and pinned applications quit working. Some forums said the fix for this was to up the screen resolution

because the problem was actually a user input decision box that could not be seen because it was off screen. My res was about 4 clicks higher than they

recommended so this did not work.

The most annoying thing about Windows 8 is that the Start menu button on the screen and the keyboard of course only toggle you from the Metro UI to the Windows 7

desktop. This means it no longer brings up a list of programs. There is no Run box either. There is no way to get to your programs without browsing to them. I made

shortcuts to the programs I use the most but that was tacky and they took up too much space on the desktop and / or task bar.

The solution I used for all of these problems was to use a tweak program that edited the registry so that Metro UI was disabled completely and the Start button acted

like it did in Windows 8. After that there were only a few tell-tale signs that I was using Windows 8. A few new looking menus, a few system animations and other stuff

left over from the Win 8 theme were still around but they cause no problems.

Anyone else try the preview yet? How have your experiences with it been?

Here is a link to the Metro UT Tweak app I used - http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/tweak-windows-8-with-the-metro-ui-tweaker-for-windows-8/14976

Windows 8 for PCs is only out in Dev Preview. How do you know you don't like it? YouTube videos? :) Just don't like Microsoft stuffs?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/home/br229518

I have not tried the preview, but I do not like Windows 8.

I do not like it because of its radical change to favouring tablet-based PCs. It may be fun to play around on tablet-based PCs, but try typing a two page paper using one of those touch-based "keyboards." As you can clearly see, tablet PCs are not best-suited for work; they are for play. This doesn't mean you can't do work with a tablet; it just means that instead of taking two days to complete a project, it will take four.

I agree XaaV. I hated the tablet style GUI and think that Microsoft has lost their minds. I hope and suspect that Windows 8 will go the way of Windows Millennium and be shoved under the rug and forgotten about as soon as possible. Windows 9 anyone?

Of course I tried it. I had it since the day it came out, also had all the leaks before this release. Yeah, I like trying all the new stuff...

I used it a lot, since I have all the scripting programmes on 8.

What's my impression? I neither like or dislike the Metro UI, although that green in all the menus is like a... vomit colour... They could have chosen blue or red or anything else...

I hate when I have a programme opened in Metro and another one in the normal interface, because I always click on the side of the screen, opening the other interface...

The lack of orb menu is surely a lost, but just because we are used to the classic look. Time will pass, and no one will blame it anymore.

But, of course, this is just a beginning. The beginning of the beginning. It's not even a beta. Microsoft will surely improve it for more desktop use. They just can't give everything just for better tablet implementation!

Yeah it is in the very beginning stages. I just wish they would release some more updates for it. Some developer program betas to run on Windows 8.

• 8 months later...

Well, maybe all the bugs would already be gone considering it is going to be released on October 26, 2012. That's 61 days away. I agree I didn't like the new User Interface (UI) but after awhile of using it I got use to it and liked it, didn't love it but I liked it. Plus, Microsoft is almost done with the support status.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_8

i really dont like this new metro interface!

i have heard that windows 8 final will only boot to this new interface and u cant change it!

It can be bypassed with 3rd party programs. Classic Shell and Start8 let you have your legacy interface back if you want it.

I personally have no intention of ever touching Win8 because it is essentially junk. It's worthless if you do much beyond photos, Office, social media, and listening to music. Forget doing any real work on it.

If anyone has ever programmed in a single-window environment...you go insane pretty quickly trying to test stuff as you develop it. Yes there's the desktop, but if you're gonna be there the whole time, why not use Win7 and save the resources that Win8 uses to keep Metro and that other stuff you'll never use running?

Then, there's the whole learning issue...why should I relearn something that has been the same for 17 years, especially when it's a step backwards for what I do on the computer?

And of course, there's the usability issue on legacy hardware. Metro is very awkward to use with a mouse and keyboard. I don't have nor do I want a touch screen on my PC. If i had to use a touch screen on my PC, my arms would get tired quite quickly.

Finally, there's the fact that many people are naturally change-averse. Why change when the same 17 year old interface still serves us well? MS fixed what wasn't broken, and many people aren't happy about it.

Enterprise is never gonna buy it for many of the above reasons, not to mention the costs associated with them. No company with a brain will waste money to buy hardware and software that helps make work less efficient, let alone spend it on training users to use it. My current job has said "No Win8 here", and I suspect that many other companies will be in the same boat.

I'm sure others have a different view on 8. Win8 makes sense on a tablet, but I, for one, will NEVER be convinced to use it on a PC.

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't used it yet. However I don't mind the new interface. Its actually quite interesting. I know it was derived from AOL's design from back in the day. I am not sure if I will be able to stand it on a desktop, but your right on a tablet it makes alot of sense. Maybe they will update it. who knows. But I quite like it.

Programming for the RunTime is just a nuisance, developers now are forced to learn XAML and VB or C#. Granted I know both C# and VB, I only need to learn XAML, but to bottleneck programming like that isn't good for productivity.