lisanet

Hi.

Please help with these things but when you can, -Have a really nice Thanksgiving all of you.

-I cannot login to my osCommerce store anymore. The new password you set for me isn't working now. I turned on the SSL for the store so that could be the reason. This is a separate thing from the SSL installed for my domain.

-When I type my domain into my browser it resolves to http instead of https. How can I change this so that it resolves automatically to the secure address?

- The template you installed for me looks perfect in Firefox and imperfect in IExplorer. Is there a way to fix this so it looks the same in all the different browsers?

Thanks.

@2nd question:

You can edit the file called .htaccess in your root web folder (=public_html) (you can create it if it doesn't exist).

Add these lines to the file:

RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{SERVER_PORT} 80
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ https://www.yourdomain.com/$1 [R,L]

Just change the yourdomain.com to your domain.

@3th qeustion:

It is possible, but it could be a lot of work.

You will need to re-write the entire template and make it compatible with IE.

And you don't have any guaranteed that it will look the same, since IE doesn't "follow" the same standards as Firefox.

Thanks for your answers. About that last question...I know if I look at the sample with an IE it will look the same. How else could they sell it? And how could anybody sell anything if they didn't have a site people could read with any browser? I've rarely encountered that problem.

Most likely people make the templates according to the standards.

If they do that, then all the browsers need to show the same webpage.

And you need to know that IE doesn't take the standards serious and make there own set of style standards.

That results in conflicts between browsers

In most cases people need to make a separate template just for IE alone.

In school I've seen the problem too. I once had make a simple website and even there I needed to make a separated CSS-style file for IE alone.

• 2 weeks later...

As of templates and Browser quirks (in particular IE):

Since I usually use FF for developing and test in IE afterwards, I was often shocken how the layout can differ.

Until the day when I discovered that a simple <!DOCTYPE HTML> (without the 'usual' stuff in it) did the trick for me. This way I experienced pretty much identical results in the major 5 (FF, IE, Opera, Safari, Chrome) and Konqueror, especially in the newest versions.

Firefox has tried to become everything to everyone and in doing so has become the resource hog IE used to be. Until they fix it (which they have announced they are trying to do) I will be using IE primary.

• 2 weeks later...

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE!

Thank you all for your answers and suggestions. I have not had a chance to answer or try them until now. Will let you know how it goes. But for those who posted code to add, where in the file do you add this stuff?

Anyway good luck to everyone in the New Year. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everybody and I hope your holidays were great!

To Ice: I tried adding that stuff to the ht access file. It did not change anything or have any effect.

To xaav: I cannot log into my osCommerce admin account. My ht access password is no longer working. I just get the site page saying that the login is invalid. Would you fix this? Thanks.

To xaav: I cannot log into my osCommerce admin account. My ht access password is no longer working. I just get the site page saying that the login is invalid. Would you fix this? Thanks.

Sure.

I applied the changes to your account, but you need to apply that github patch so that you can login to your administration panel.

I thought I posted some other stuff here. I have finally updated my computer but boy am I having a time with these browsers and doing stuff. This one won't go here, the other one won't post a page. MY outdated browser and os, no problem. Okay, progress!

Anyway, I forgot to ask, what is a github patch? Also, where do I find it and how do I apply it properly?

I think the "other stuff" is on another topic. I think that's why I forgot to ask about the github thing.