[Answered] When To Do Dns Update After Purchasing Domain?

djzebbie

I have just purchased a domain name for use with my HelioHost website. I bought it through Katz Global, a company that allows for alternative payments of purchases without credit or checking (like the standard GoDaddy, HostGator and NameCheap, etc. require). I received an email from their Customer Service dept. asking what DNS records I want to use with the domain(s). Obviously I know the answer to be ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org, but I'm just confused about when I should have this configured.

Technically, I do not "own" the domain as of yet; the purchase is pending (paid by U.S. mail), and I'll only "own" it once I've received an email with further details, which I haven't yet received. Katz takes care of everything nameserver wise on their end; there is no control panel to manage your domains, and configurations are achieved by sending tech support an email. I read in the HelioHost wiki the information about parked, addon and subdomains:

After logging into your personal cPanel, click on the 'Parked Domains' button and enter the domain you wish to park into the text box provided, and submit the form. After that, navigate to your domain registrar's website and configure your domain with the following nameservers: ns1.heliohost.org ns2.heliohost.org

The parked domain you have just setup will be automatically be configured to reflect your public_html directory. If you want it to reflect a different directory then you will need to configure an Addon Domain. You can also configure the domain to be redirected to another URL, just click on the 'Manage Redirection' button and enter the URL you wish to redirect.

I read also on the HH wiki that

You will need to wait approximately 24 hours until your parked domain will become active. If you still see a message saying 'HelioHost Account Queued' after that period, then please clear your cache.

The problem is that they seem to be asking to change the nameservers first, and I cannot add a domain to my Parked Domains that I technically do not own yet. My understanding is that the sequence seems a little backwards, at least comparing their setup requirements to HH's domains section on the Wiki, which states to enter your domains first to cPanel and then configure it with your registrar.

Per the Katz Global domain registration FAQ:

Will I get a login area to manage my domain(s)?

No. All anonymous domains are held in trust accounts and are managed by our company. In order to make dns changes, or administer your domain, all you have to do is send us an email with your request that includes your account # and password and the URL you wish to modify and dns attendant with personally take care of changes quickly. If you have many domains and require rapid changes frequently, please send your domain attendant a special request for DNS control.

So what should I do to go about pointing this domain to the yourname.heliohost.org URL? Should I enter the domains I just purchased (but which are not "mine" yet) into cPanel anyway and then tell Customer Service what DNS servers to use? Should I let them know which servers to use but ask them to hold on on updating until I "have" the domain (payment receipt) and can subsequently configure it on my site? Will my custom domain(s) still work if I tell tech support to point them to Helio's DNS records before I enter them into my cPanel?

I'm just confused from a sequential standpoint as to which I should do first and how long it will take for the domain I don't yet have to become active on my site. I'm going to wait to respond to the setup guy until I hear from support on this end. Thanks in advance.

As far as I can see the payment receipt is just a formality, might be a good idea to just get everything set up now and be ready to go when the receipt is sent to you.

As far as I can see the payment receipt is just a formality, might be a good idea to just get everything set up now and be ready to go when the receipt is sent to you.

So which should I do first: add the domains to cPanel and then reply to the email, or inform the support rep of where to point them and then add the domains to cPanel?

A domain that is pointed to HelioHost's nameservers gives DNS zone control to HelioHost. However, the domain is not associated with an account util it is added through cPanel. So, the sequence would be as follows:

1. Have Customer Service set nameservers to HelioHost's nameservers(I think you already did that).
  2. My understanding is the domain does not become active until you receive your receipt, which means the domain really isn't pointing anywhere yet. Once you receive your receipt add the domain through cPanel.

The domain MUST be pointed to HelioHost's nameservers before it can be added through cPanel. Hope this helps!

A domain that is pointed to HelioHost's nameservers gives DNS zone control to HelioHost. However, the domain is not associated with an account util it is added through cPanel. So, the sequence would be as follows:

1. Have Customer Service set nameservers to HelioHost's nameservers(I think you already did that).
  2. My understanding is the domain does not become active until you receive your receipt, which means the domain really isn't pointing anywhere yet. Once you receive your receipt add the domain through cPanel.

The domain MUST be pointed to HelioHost's nameservers before it can be added through cPanel. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! That's exactly what I needed, a "First do this, then do this" type of how-to. I've copied the email response below so you can see if I did this right:

Support: Once payment has been picked up, you will receive a domain setup email. What dns are you wanting for your domain name?

Me: Thanks for your reply. The DNS servers I'll be needing for both

domains point to:

ns1.heliohost.org

ns2.heliohost.org

If there are any further questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Where it says "both domains," I had bought both a .com and a .net domain to guard against "squatters" using my name. I believe if you want a .net to point to the same content as .com (like an alias) you still point it to the same DNS records, from my understanding of the wiki.

Where it says "both domains," I had bought both a .com and a .net domain to guard against "squatters" using my name. I believe if you want a .net to point to the same content as .com (like an alias) you still point it to the same DNS records, from my understanding of the wiki.

correct, they'll all point to the same location on stevie/johnny after being parked through cpanel.

side note on squatters: a prof of mine had a run-in with them when he tried setting up a site for his ranching business, he is hosted by the college itself thus has a .edu suffix but because his ranching is still a business he still has taxes to pay for the site lol.