Forums Inaccessibility

craigis

I noticed that there seems to be something that runs somewhere on Charlie in either the Vm's or the machine itself that takes down HelioNet, HelioHost as well as Johnny and the NameServer 2. If you look at Piotr GRD's monitor you can see this happens quite frequently and can be annoying as all the front of heliohost and helionet completely disappears.

One thing I thought of although I don't know how feasible it would be is to consider putting the forums (Helionet) on Stevie since he has been stable recently. This may not be a option due to the load the forums create but it was something that I thought may be a way to go to help with the up-time of the site. This could also be something done to the Heliohost site as well cause that goes down at the same time as Helionet which can be annoying for users or visitors who are unable to access the site.

I was wondering if this is a feasible option and if it had been considered before or not or due to other factors such as load, resources available its not a option?

I've wondered the same thing. It would make more sense to put them on Stevie since it has better up time. I often have to refresh topics to get them to load, and it's annoying when IPB's AJAX-based posting times out, losing my posts (has HH considered a better forum product like XenForo? IPB seems to be going down the tubes now...I belong to 3 other forums, and 2 of them just dumped IPB).

Johhny likely needs more resources than Stevie because of the extras, but being a VM, I imagine it probably has less than Stevie since it must share with Cody.

Much of the forum downtime is likely due to Johnny accounts causing high load...

Cody's downtime is indeed caused by Johnny, and the forums are not on Stevie because of the load they generate. They were moved off Stevie to improve uptime on that server. We are investigating ways to improve performance for Cody and Johnny, a few possibilities have been narrowed down. As for switching from IPB, that certainly won't happen anytime soon. IPB is very integrated. I'm certain we will look into it once the more crucial projects are completed.