Shinryuu

What I'm assuming is that some nodes cached the hosted sites while our DNS was down because their local copies' TTL ran out. Thus leading to our "i see it's up" "no, it's down for me" debacle. It would also explain why hard reloads are resolving it for people as that forces all nodes between a user and the server to disregard cached copies of the sites being requested and redownload them. This would also explain why clearing a local cache won't work since the faulty site data isn't in the local machine but on the nodes connecting the local machine and our servers.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the DNA issues I cannot access my website hosted at hello host

Or any of the heliohost websites, I cannot access the capable or FTP.

But for some reason I can not access this from my home connection only.

Why is this? Can someone assist me

Since the DNA issues I cannot access my website hosted at hello host

Or any of the heliohost websites, I cannot access the cpanel or FTP.

But for some reason I can not access this from my home connection only.

Has my IP been blocked, because this is wht it appears like.

Why is this? Can someone assist me

My threads are repeatedly been deleted ad I have no idea why, all I want is help

This is most likely due to DNS caching. The DNS server(s) at your home ISP have refreshed their cache after the DNS issues, while other places retain old data. Try a hard refresh on your web browser and clearing your machine's DNS cache (ipconfig /flushdns for Windows).

If you provide your domain name, cPanel username, and server, I could further assist you to connect while our DNS is being repaired.

root@HQ-net-s-2:~# ping -c 4 ns1.heliohost.org
PING ns1.heliohost.org (65.19.143.3) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 65.19.143.3: icmp_req=1 ttl=56 time=63.8 ms
64 bytes from 65.19.143.3: icmp_req=2 ttl=56 time=62.8 ms
64 bytes from 65.19.143.3: icmp_req=3 ttl=56 time=63.0 ms
64 bytes from 65.19.143.3: icmp_req=4 ttl=56 time=62.8 ms
--- ns1.heliohost.org ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 15210ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 62.809/63.165/63.878/0.459 ms

root@HQ-net-s-2:~# ping -c 4 ns2.heliohost.org
PING ns2.heliohost.org (64.62.211.133) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from ns1.heliohost.org (64.62.211.133): icmp_req=1 ttl=56 time=62.7 ms
64 bytes from ns1.heliohost.org (64.62.211.133): icmp_req=2 ttl=56 time=63.4 ms
64 bytes from ns1.heliohost.org (64.62.211.133): icmp_req=3 ttl=56 time=61.7 ms
64 bytes from ns1.heliohost.org (64.62.211.133): icmp_req=4 ttl=56 time=63.2 ms
--- ns2.heliohost.org ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3014ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 61.732/62.795/63.475/0.715 ms

How odd... Probably because I use OpenDNS, now that I think about it...

What I'm assuming is that some nodes cached the hosted sites while our DNS was down because their local copies' TTL ran out. Thus leading to our "i see it's up" "no, it's down for me" debacle. It would also explain why hard reloads are resolving it for people as that forces all nodes between a user and the server to disregard cached copies of the sites being requested and redownload them. This would also explain why clearing a local cache won't work since the faulty site data isn't in the local machine but on the nodes connecting the local machine and our servers.

While there is no doubt nodes do cache they should not. Web pages should be collected from the server as the website presents them.

The caching should be left to the websites and nothing else.

Client side browser caching and computer resolvers are inevitable, but webmasters should know how to deal with this:

http://thenetweb.co.uk/clear-your-cache-for-webmasters

Even if there is server side caching it will be 15 minutes max.

Besides as said numerous times, it is not caching that is the problem here as I had tested this with various methods already mentioned and was getting dns resolution errors from:

http://www.intodns.com/

when my sites and Shinryuu sites were down but no downtime shown for stevie from the HelioHost Server Monitor.

http://heliohost.grd.net.pl/monitor/

As for 3rd Party sites like:

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/

It would be pointless them using any form of caching, but that is not to say they don't.

Stevie seems to be OK at the moment.

My threads are repeatedly been deleted ad I have no idea why

No one's threads are being deleted, it just doesn't make sense to have 500 different threads about the same exact issue in 8 different sub forums. I assure you it is being worked on, and we all hope to have everything fully functional again as soon as possible.

@Krydos

While I agree with your logic re merging Threads, unfortunately this board breaks all links as it will not redirect by Post or Thread ID.

I have always said we are long overdue for a new board.

myBB would be my choice but that is for another Thread.

It looks like something has been change around ~11:30 UTC (four hours ago).

At least for me and for the location where my heliohost.grd.net.pl domain is hosted (my "DNS checker" started to work again, previously it had no access to HelioHost nameservers at all).

It looks like something has been change

Yeah, some progress has been made, but it's still not 100%. For instance the johnny.heliohost.org isn't working.

If anyone else finds specific urls that don't resolve correctly please let us know.