[Answered] How Do You Enable Addon-Domain Feature For Your Account

sehrguey

"The easiest way to deploy a Ruby on Rails application on HelioHost... is creating a new domain with the document root [Home Directory]/app_name/public"

These lines from http://wiki.helionet.org/Deploying_a_Rails_application_on_HelioHost made me try to create an addon-domain with cpanel.

There is a hint on the creation page:

"Hint: This feature must be enabled for your account before you can use it. Addon domains will not function unless the domain name is registered with a valid registrar and configured to point to the correct DNS servers."

The hint flew far above my head and my try at creating an addon domain ended in even less comprehensible (for me) message:

"Using nameservers with the following IPs: 174.137.135.164,77.245.48.84 Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver."

Help me, please.

yours`

sehrguey

What you need is not a addon domain, but a sub-domain.

When you create the sub-domain, you can choose where the files will be stored. Default, cPanel creates a map under your home directory.

Change that to the [Home Directory]/app_name/public.

What you need is not a addon domain, but a sub-domain.

When you create the sub-domain, you can choose where the files will be stored. Default, cPanel creates a map under your home directory.

Change that to the [Home Directory]/app_name/public.

Thank you whole-heartedly!

It's just a bit hard for a newbie to figure out that "a new domain" at the official instruction page really means "a sub-domain".

Regardless.

I'll follow your advice only could you be a little more specific about mapping created by cPanel please?

Default, cPanel creates a map under your home directory.

yours`

sehrguey