[Answered] Running An Exe

keyboard1333

Well, in Linux executable files don't have to end with .exe or anything in particular so that's why I made the assumptions I did.

If you're talking about a cgi executable then just drop it into cgi-bin folder and you're good to go. That folder is special for allowing executable files to operate.

Sorry for my poor clarification.

I understand that it is possible to execute this kind of file on the server, but I have two more questions to do with it.

1: Can I run this file constantly... Probably not 24/7, but close to it.

2: This exe doesn't interact with my website, it has a seperate purpose... Is this allowed?

1: Can I run this file constantly... Probably not 24/7, but close to it.

It depends on the type of script it is, because a lot of processes are automatically killed after a certain amount of time. Since this is a shared host (meaning you share the server with other accounts) we also limit memory usage, and suspend accounts that are hogging too many system resources. All that said there is no rule that a script cannot run all day.

2: This exe doesn't interact with my website, it has a seperate purpose... Is this allowed?

Sure, whatever. We respect users privacy and we don't go snooping around in their files unless there is strong reason to suspect illegal activity, or if that account is causing problems for the whole server. Actually I think quite a few people just use their accounts to store files, and they don't even host a website at all. We're set up to be a webhost, but you can use your account for whatever as long as it doesn't violate the ToS.

Sorry for my poor clarification.

Honestly, when people are this intentionally vague it usually means they are planning something illegal. If you want a straight answer ask a straight question. Post the code. Explain what the mysterious program does. The more information you provide the more definitive of a yes or no we can give you as to whether it is allowed.

It depends on the type of script it is, because a lot of processes are automatically killed after a certain amount of time. Since this is a shared host (meaning you share the server with other accounts) we also limit memory usage, and suspend accounts that are hogging too many system resources. All that said there is no rule that a script cannot run all day.

I'm not really a linux person, so I'm not even 100 percent what type of file you call it... It's a file programmed in C# that can be run on linux... That's all I know :\

Sure, whatever. We respect users privacy and we don't go snooping around in their files unless there is strong reason to suspect illegal activity, or if that account is causing problems for the whole server. Actually I think quite a few people just use their accounts to store files, and they don't even host a website at all. We're set up to be a webhost, but you can use your account for whatever as long as it doesn't violate the ToS.

On a seperate note, why did you mark this thread as answered? I didn't indicate in any way that my question had been answered at the time that it was done...?

I'll go read through it then.

Honestly, when people are this intentionally vague it usually means they are planning something illegal. If you want a straight answer ask a straight question. Post the code. Explain what the mysterious program does. The more information you provide the more definitive of a yes or no we can give you as to whether it is allowed.

It's a bot that responds to users, programmed in C#... E.g. You use a piece of software that the bot connects too... Then you can interact with it.. I know this kind of program isn't illegal, I've already checked.

The code is kind of long and spread across several files, so I can't really post it...

It's a bot that responds to users, programmed in C#... E.g. You use a piece of software that the bot connects too... Then you can interact with it.. I know this kind of program isn't illegal, I've already checked.

The code is kind of long and spread across several files, so I can't really post it...

I'm not sure where this is needed, but unless it negatively impacts the server it really doesn't matter. Here's a few points to keep in mind:

• let the program sleep a little in between loop iterations when there's a large amount of looping involved.
  • even though C# has built-in GC, invoke it and release resources heavily.
  • give the program a way to kill and restart itself at regular intervals

This will help prevent any disruption of services and avoid having your account suspended.