[Solved] Suspended: Gaddons

I would really appreciate an answer ASAP since I have hundreds of users that can't get their daily dose of GMOD addons :(

I checked the GA and found out that it spiked at 500 unique visitors yesterday, usually around 400. So I would guess I got suspended because of the server usage.

Your account was suspended for causing high server load. I have unsuspended your account, but please try to limit the load you put on our servers as it slows down not only your site, but the sites of all other HelioHost users sharing your server.

If you still see the suspended page, please clear your cache.

Thanks!

I have no idea how my website could cause high server load, any advice?

It is pure PHP more or less. Though it relies heavily on a mySQL DB. Does my website load include the load on the mysql db?

I have no idea how my website could cause high server load, any advice?

It is pure PHP more or less. Though it relies heavily on a mySQL DB. Does my website load include the load on the mysql db?

No, accounts can get suspended for causing high MySQL load too, but your account was suspended for causing high CPU and memory usage. I would suggest disabling shoutbox.php to see if that helps reduce your load.

I have no idea how my website could cause high server load, any advice? It is pure PHP more or less. Though it relies heavily on a mySQL DB. Does my website load include the load on the mysql db?
No, accounts can get suspended for causing high MySQL load too, but your account was suspended for causing high CPU and memory usage. I would suggest disabling shoutbox.php to see if that helps reduce your load.

I see. Well I'm glad to know that it wasn't the mysql that was the problem. Thanks a lot for the tip! Will look into it!

Okay I think I found the thief, thanks again for telling me which script it was (or whatever you got the name from).

When I looked at it now, the code was kinda stupid and not that hard to fix.

Each user called shoutbox.php 4 times/minute.

Let's say at the time it hogged a lot, there were 20-30 simultaneous users on the site (higher than usual). That means 25 * 4 = 100 calls to shoutbox.php/minute.

Aside from upping that interval to 1 minute (1 call/minute), I fixed the main problem which was that when checking for new messages, shoutbox.php fetched the 50 latest ones, looped through everyone of them just to realize that everyone of them was already fetched before (=not new). That it did EVERY call.

I recoded that bit and now it should be a lot more effective.

The best part of this? I did not code the original code for shoutbox.php. I copy/pasted it from the net, have modified now and then but never touched this specific part.

All I can say is lesson learned.

Cool. Feel free to post on the forums again tomorrow or a couple days from now to check in on how your load is doing. Right now you're the second highest load on the server, but since you just posted I assume that means you just fixed it.