[Solved] Deploying Ror App At Heliohost: Help Needed

jmz

I am facing a problem with deploying my rails applications, presently, this is what I've done,

1. Uploaded my Ruby on Rails application to [Home Directory]/depot
  2. Symbolic Link created "Link created successfully!/home/jmz/depot/public"
  3. RoR application's public folder contains .htaccess file with RailsBaseURI /depot

My info is

• cpanel user name: jmz
  • main domain: jmz30.tk
  • server: johnny

Plelase help.

This is the process I use to deploy a rails application.

1. Click http://johnny.heliohost.org:2082/frontend/x3/ror/index.html
  2. Type the app name into the box.
  3. Check (or leave unchecked) load on boot.
  4. Choose your application path. Default is /home/[username]/rails_apps/[appname]
  5. Choose the environment type: production or development.
  6. Click create.
  7. Wait for the rails app to be created, and then once it is click "go back."
  8. Now your new application should show up under the "Available Ruby on Rails Applications" heading, but it will say "Not Running" so click the "Run" button under the Actions header.
  9. cPanel will start the application, and give you a "go back" link. Click this. When the page reloads a lot of the time it will still say that your application is still not running, but if you reload the page again it should show up shortly.
  10. Locate your new rails app under the "Create a Rewrite" header, and click "Create Rewrite."
  11. Here you can create a subdirectory for the rails app to run under, or you can select whatever subdomains, parked domains, or addon domains you have previously added.
  12. When you have the location you want your rails app to run from click "Save."
  13. Now when you go to the domain you selected/typed above you should see a brand new default rails app with the "Welcome aboard, you're riding Ruby on Rails!" If you see a 500 error, or a 503 error or 404 error, or something else it might mean you messed up on the above steps.
  14. Open up cPanel file manager, or FTP, or your favourite way of getting your files onto the server, and navigate to /home/[username]/rails_apps/[appname] or wherever you put your rails app in the above steps.
  15. Upload your files, and have fun developing in RoR.

Let us know if this process works for you. There may be several valid ways to get a functional RoR application working on Heliohost, but this is the process that I have used and is proven to work.

• Like 1