Open Source or Closed Source

Which is better?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It all depends on the kind of program I'm looking for and the type of work I need to do with that program.

I usually go in for Freeware... sometimes open-source.. but I just get the binary version... who has time to run, compile, modify the source?!?!?!

And sometimes I do depend on commercial programs... but I also do use Serials2000 a lot :P

I guess it depends on how well the free/open-source versions stack up against the shareware/closed-source versions. For antivirus and the like, Im content with Spybot S&D, AntiVir, and Ad-Aware, but when it comes to other things, like movie editing programs, recording studio programs, and the like, Id just as soon buy it, unless of course its the $199 Mixcraft Studios recording studio, I pirated that. lol.

but whats sad for business owners is that you can get just about anything free on the net with serials ect. and they think they got safe with online registration only so you cant just enter a code or a code and matching name but now they have patches that hack programs for you! but im sure there will be some super encrytion no one will crack for a long time. but everything can be decrypted, no such thing as "uncrackable"... how do you think the program reads the data??? other wise it would just be random, it has a pattern.

sorry i think i got just a little off topic there but you see my point?

yeah, alot of members at the GMC (gamemaker community) (lol, cant stop talking about it) have in their sig against TCPA because they want to but mark overmars' program from him and he wont have any business and gamemaker wont be free... or maybe even exist.

• 2 weeks later...

I voted for depends. I mean, it depends on what the software will be used for. If your occupation is a developer, you would obviously prefer open source software when possible because you can easily mod it to your personal needs. But closed source has its advantages. Companies can keep rivals from stealing company secrets by making their software closed source.