Master of our fate?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

Why do you think we don’t have a free will, or it's an illusion???

I mean of yes society and nature do restrict our will, because everything whit a rule has its restrictions, but that doesn’t make our free-will to an illusion…

It’s just some other type of freedom…

Or am I wrong?

ps sorry for my english

Hi Why do you think we don’t have a free will, or it's an illusion??? I mean of yes society and nature do restrict our will, because everything whit a rule has its restrictions, but that doesn’t make our free-will to an illusion… It’s just some other type of freedom… Or am I wrong? ps sorry for my english

"Free-will"---The ability to make uninfluenced choices.

"We" acknowledge the obvious thangs about our environment an genes which restrict our will from bein free... but i thank every aspect of our lives is the result of previous causes... an these causes an effects are an unbroken chain of events which leaves zero room for will to be free.!!!

I thank the illusion that will is free... came about as consciousness evolved.!!!

PS---I understand you just fine :-)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I think we don't have free-will because of our disobediance and miscoordination between heart, mind and morality. I can explain it as like my mind and morality is telling me to study but you can see what i am doing. This addiction of internet got over me. I know its wrong but yet i am pursuing it.

A human have not any free will because to his own limitations of control !!

I think we don't have free-will because of our disobediance and miscoordination between heart, mind and morality. I can explain it as like my mind and morality is telling me to study but you can see what i am doing. This addiction of internet got over me. I know its wrong but yet i am pursuing it.

A human have not any free will because to his own limitations of control !!

I dont know of any example of will bein free... an i dont thank anybody else does ether.!!!

I thank morality comes from the brain... an ther is no seperate entity as the "mind"... an the heart just pumps blood.!!!

I dont know of any example of will bein free... an i dont thank anybody else does ether.!!!

I thank morality comes from the brain... an ther is no seperate entity as the "mind"... an the heart just pumps blood.!!!

ya i know too, my meaning was everyone have an inner sound i.e. the heart

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Like all existential matters, it depends on how you define it.

Namely, what is will supposed to be free from?

The most natural way to look at it may be a matter of degrees- from more free to less free.

At a certain point, we might look at it all and say "hey, this will is pretty free, I'll call it a free will"- that doesn't mean it has to be free from everything, in a colloquial sense. Infinitely free may not even have any meaning.

Recommend you read some articles by Daniel Dennett for a compatibilist view.

Not saying I agree with him, but it's interesting anyway; and it all comes down to the definition.

In life, almost nothing is really 100%. But sometimes things are 99.999%, and that's good enough for government work.

You're probably right, but it's just something to think about.

We have free will. But it is a simulation and a very complex one.

Think of it as a random number generator where the random seed used to initialize the random number generator was used millions of years ago and the same random number generator process is still running.

It is way too complex, near untraceable and has the ability to produce virtually unpredictable results.

By virtually unpredictable results, I mean results that the human brain doesn't have the computing power to retrace every operation this process did in order to calculate the next result. This ability to produce unpredictable results is what simulates free will.

So yes, I believe we have as much free will as physically possible.

• 3 weeks later...

I agree with Hussam. We all have free will. Totally. What can be confusing is the fact that you and I exist due to millions of freely chosen actions performed millions of free will individuals many generations prior to you. .......There arguably many millions of individuals who um....chose poorly, and therefore, today make poor witnesses to that fact, as they produced no descendants. Good examples of what I mean by that can be found here: http://www.darwinawards.com/ . The site is one of the few sites I know of that combines sadness, silliness, horror and hilarity all in one place.

What my point is, we all have free will. Totally. But you have to remember, like the adage "freedom ain't free", "free will" has it's price too.

So each of us may choose to walk off a cliff, but we don't, because we are all aware of how painful That would be.....so we freely choose Not to toy with cliffs. No illusion there.

In short I think SUCCESSFUL Free Will is/was and always will be choices made that DO NOT harm self/others/ or communities. It is true that for some there is some success and even profit in choosing to harm oneself or others, but sooner or later like any "free will thief", you get caught by the consequences of poor choices and you fall off a figurative cliff. That's the bad news about "Free Will". Consequences.

But each of you exists this very day, due to millions of Excellent interconnected Good choices of free will converging to make the moment of your birth possible, to give You the opportunity, the choice, the Free Will to make Good and excellent choices for yourself and for the many generations after you. :D That's the good news about "Free Will". Consequences. No illusion there either!

My definition of free will is the ability to make a random choice between two or more *open and freely allowable* options.

That means if I hold a gun to your head and force you to choose option A, it does *not* mean you don't have free will in that situation. Even though you exercised option A, I cannot tell if you really wanted option B.

Free will is a simulation of randomness.

I agree with Hussam. We all have free will. Totally. What can be confusing is the fact that you and I exist due to millions of freely chosen actions performed millions of free will individuals many generations prior to you

Not just that, the choices you make are the result of a system that simulated free will since the beginning of man kind.

It means when I give you two apples and you chose which one to eat first, you think you made a free choice. But in reality, that system led you to make that decision. You simply can't tell how it did so.

It is a complex mathematical process that was initially fed a "non free will" decision at the beginning of mankind (probably an innate reaction to something) and has since been producing "free will".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Well it is my free will because of which I opened an account here and posting this. :P/>

I enjoy the sensation that will is free... even tho i realize that a chain of events leads me to the decisions i make.!!!

As far as you'r postin here... were ther causes that led you to post here... was you'r choice to post here uninfluenced.???

• 2 weeks later...