[Solved] Problems Registering Eu.org Domain

sergiofmreis

Dear Members of HelioNet,

First of all, I just want to say Hi to everyone, as this is my first post here :D/>/>

A few days ago, I just joined HelioHost (Stevie server) and after configuring some initial settings, now I want to add my future main domain.

Searching online led to the eu.org service (http://eu.org), which is free, and according to the vast majority of the reviews, reliable and stable.

However, I am having some dificulties setting up this domain.

I am a newbie, but from what I read, I must register the domain with the ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org nameservers, and then add an Addon Domain via cPanel.

But after filling in the eu.org form (http://eu.org/form_n.html), this is the result:

DNS query result

---- Basic checks

---- Servers and domain names check

---- Checking server addresses

Getting IP for NS1.HELIOHOST.ORG...65.19.143.3

Getting IP for NS2.HELIOHOST.ORG...64.62.211.133

Error: NS1.HELIOHOST.ORG not authoritative for domain xxxxx.EU.ORG.

Error: NS2.HELIOHOST.ORG not authoritative for domain xxxxx.EU.ORG.

2 error(s), stopping.

where xxxxx is the name for the future domain.

I tried starting with cPanel, just to be sure, but there was another (predictable) error:

Error from park wrapper: Using nameservers with the following IPs: 157.99.64.65,94.142.241.101,157.99.64.64,88.191.249.137,217.70.179.36 Sorry, the domain is already pointed to an IP address that does not appear to use DNS servers associated with this server. Please transfer the domain to this servers nameservers or have your administrator add one of its nameservers to /etc/ips.remotedns and make the proper A entries on that remote nameserver.

TL;DR:

Has anyone sucessfully registered an eu.org (sub-)domain?

Or how can I make ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org authoritative for this domain?

Sorry for the long post.

Best Regards,

Sergio

If your registrar won't let you change your nameservers the best option is to contact your registrar to ask them how to go about setting nameservers. I've heard of some registrars where you have to submit a ticket before they will change the nameservers on your domain for you. There isn't much Heliohost can do about setting your nameservers for you since we don't have access to the registrars website. You have to negotiate that with them directly. The other option that sometimes works is you can change your account's main domain using http://www.heliohost.org/home/support/scripts/domain

I believe this problem could be fixed if I could add a NS record in Stevie's DNS Settings beforehand.

It seems to me this is the same issue as this: http://www.helionet.org/index/topic/10899-ns-records/

As a partial and temporary solution, I used other DNS Server (http://www.ClouDNS.net) to set NS records to my domain. With this, my registration was finally accepted and they are currently reviewing my request.

Nevertheless, once approved, I also intend to include ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org, but because of their initial checks, the order of actions must be:

1. Add NS Records in Stevie's DNS Settings.

2. Setting ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org nameservers in my domain settings.

3. Adding an Addon Domain via cPanel.

However, DNS Settings at Heliohost don't allow me to add NS Records (same issue as in the other topic I stated above)

Is it possible that some admin could add these records for me?

I believe this problem could be fixed if I could add a NS record in Stevie's DNS Settings beforehand.

That's exactly what this does:

The other option that sometimes works is you can change your account's main domain using http://www.heliohost.org/home/support/scripts/domain

It's obviously preferable and much easier to just get your registrar to set the nameservers properly rather than having to do a lot of extra steps though.

Ah! Got it!

Thanks for the explanation!

But by doing this, I will lose my heliohost subdomain (which is my main domain at the moment), right?

Or will it be turned into an addon/parked domain?

If possible, I wanted to keep both domains :rolleyes:

I just want to be sure before possibly messing up my current subdomain...

Thanks for your support

By changing your main domain, you lose your heliohost.org subdomain. Subdomains cannot be parked or added on. Did you try sending an email to hostmaster@eu.org requesting NS records be set?

At the moment, my request is under process, which according to some reviews online may take some days/weeks.

I used ClouDNS.net service, created NS Records there, and on the eu.org form I added cloudns nameservers, which were accepted in their automatic test performed before submitting.

After the acceptance (hopefully) of my request, I intend to change my domain to HelioHost DNS servers.

I believe then is the right moment to contact them about this issue, if their "Nameservers Modification Form" still have the initial authoritative check as when registering a new domain.

But most probably they will have, I don't know.

And if it's the case, I get in a vicious cycle: eu.org says NS Records at HelioHost must be set before changing nameservers, and HelioHost cPanel Addon Domain require nameservers at the eu.org domain to be set first.

So, suming up, I haven't still contacted hostmaster@eu.org.

What do you suggest me to do?

Thanks!

The domain name was sent to you.

At the time of registration, I only included ClouDNS nameservers, as including HelioHost always resulted in the error stated on my first post.

But somehow, I will have to link it to HelioHost servers later. And, ideally, remove the ClouDNS servers, if possible.

What do you recommend?

Domain received.

Once you have successfully parked (or added) your domain through cPanel, HelioHost's DNS will have the records eu.org is looking for, and you should be able to set HelioHost's nameservers at eu.org with no issue.

This roundabout method is going to take quite some time, so if speed is a priority I would give hostmaster@eu.org an email.

I am sorry, I'm not sure I followed you..

To add my domain through cPanel, I first need ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org as nameservers in my eu.org domain, correct? (I believe that was the reason for the second error on my first post)

And due to eu.org initial check before setting the nameservers, I need NS Records on HelioHost DNS Server beforehand (that is what I've done with ClouDNS and the reason it was accepted).

But these records are only created once I add/park my domain via cPanel.

So there's not an universal first step, and that's why I don't know what to do...

If I take this roundabout method you say, how can I later link to HelioHost's DNS? And why does it take more time?

Thank you for your time.

EDIT:

I just got my domain approved. It was faster than I expected!

Now my domain is using ClouDNS servers. How do I add my domain to cPanel?

I justed tested, and changing the nameservers via eu.org still gives me the same error as in my first post, and adding a Addon Domain via cPanel also gives me the error i quoted in my first post, but this time with the IPs from the ClouDNS service.

I believe adding a NS Record on HelioHost (ns1.heliohost.org and ns2.heliohost.org to my domain) would solve everything.

But since cPanel doesn't give me that option, could any admin do that for me beforehand?

I know those are created after adding/parking a domain, but I need them to be created before, and as I said before this seems to me a cycle: either HelioHost adds a NS record, or eu.org bypasses its initial verification system.

Or is there other alternative?

The method in which I am suggesting you use is based on tricking the system. The first step is setting NS records for your domain to point to HelioHost (completed with ClouDNS).

The next step is to park/add on the domain at HelioHost. Now that NS records are set through ClouDNS, HelioHost's system is hopefully tricked into believing NS records are set correctly, thus allowing you to park/add on the domain. Parking/adding a domain at HelioHost will then create all necessary records that eu.org is requiring before switching nameservers.

Now, once the domain is parked/added successfully, you can go back to eu.org and set nameservers to HelioHost, and cut out ClouDNS. This works because HelioHost has setup the records eu.org is looking for.

As you said, this system is a vicious cycle. The point of ClouDNS is to break the cycle. I agree, it would be easier if an admin could manually set records, but cPanel's automation system prohibits that (as I understand). The alternative would be to contact eu.org and have them fix their end, but it sounds like they are very strict on their policies. Here is the concept behind this mess:

HelioHost checks for properly set nameservers as a way to ensure the person parking/adding the domain is the real owner. The owner of the domain should be able to set proper NS records. This helps to prevent phishing, such as someone parking google.com for example.

On the other end, eu.org wants to ensure its free domains are going to "good homes" and will actually be used, not neglected. It does this by making sure the host server (HelioHost in this case) is prepared to take ownership of the domain by ensuring records are already set.

What we are doing is using ClouDNS as a hotel room. We are giving the eu.org subdomain a place to stay until the home at HelioHost is "built". Once the house is built (by parking/adding the domain successfully), the eu.org subdomain can move out of the apartment and into the new home (by updateing eu.org NS records).

IN SUMMARY: Your next step is to park/add on the domain. If that still gives you the error, then we are stuck until eu.org is contacted. This is why it takes so much time. The extra steps in between should be completely not necessary, and simply contacting eu.org could have been much faster. For whatever reason I thought it would be a good idea to try the roundabout method. I'm not certain it will work since ClouDNS NS records are involved. I apologize for taking a large chunk of your time and making things way more complicated than necessary.

P.S. I apologize for my insanely long post and terrible analogies.