[Solved] Ip Address Payed

salrandazzo

Since the Johnny server is our experimental server I would just like to confirm that you're ok with the 85% to 95% uptime that Johnny regularly experiences before doing the work of installing your dedicated IP. In comparison Stevie, our production server, regularly experiences 99.6% uptime to 99.99%.

Ok guys, thanks a lot for your help and free service. My Stevie website is now running (just the maintenance page) at http://salrandazzo.heliohost.org/.

As stated at the start of the thread, I already payed the static IP.

Would you like to connect it now to my website?

And, another question (if I can post it here): my purpose is to practice with php+MySQL building a very simple accounting software for my No-profit association. Database on mySQL and web code on PHP.

But, what if, using the static IP, I try to ODBC connect a microsoft access application to the mySQL database on my Stevie server? Is it possibile?

Thanks a lot.

Salvatore

So, if I understand, I need no IP to connect via ODBC a Microsoft Access application to mySQL.

I should:

• open cPanel and put a % sign on "remote mySQL" add Host.
  • ODBC connect to the database myCpanelName_myDatabaseName. Example: salranda_salranda_xlpdr_accounting (my cPanel username = salranda, my database name = salranda_xlpdr_accounting).
  • ODBC connect to the host stevie.heliohost.org (I'm using a stevie server).

That should be enough, correct?

So, if I don't need an IP address to ODBC connect a PC application to mySQL, what's the usage of a static IP?

I purchased it thinking about the ODBC connection. What other application uses it?

Thanks a lot again.

Problem solved. The configuration sequence is:

• open cPanel and put a % sign on "remote mySQL" add Host.
  • ODBC connect to the database myDatabaseName. Example: salranda_xlpdr_accounting (My database name = salranda_xlpdr_accounting).
  • ODBC connect to the host stevie.heliohost.org (I'm using a stevie server).
  • Complete with cPanel username and password.

Attached the screenshot of the ODBC system DSN configuration dialog.

post-68425-0-39474700-1377616992_thumb.gif

Ice-IT, would it be possible (and useful) to use IP static address to remotely connect mySQL instead of the server name? I'm asking that because I use an OpenOffice db application to connect to HelioHost Stevie server via native mySQL connection. It works but it's SO SLOW. I don't know if it depends of the slow server answer or maybe on the native OpenOffice native connection. I'm wandering if the IP Static Address (instead of "stevie.heliohost.org") could supply a faster connection.

Thanks.

Addendum: to connect OpenOffice to mySQL i installed the "MySQL SDBC Driver for Apache OpenOffice 1.2.0 (aoo-my-sdbc). I'm using OpenOffice 4.0.0.

Using the static IP will have no effect on the speed of the connection, as it all goes to the same server. Stevie is having unusually high load today, most likely due to someone abusing server resources. Once the account(s) are suspended, load should return to normal and your speed will increase.

Update about remote SQL accessing:

I tried MySQL-Front (www.mysqlfront.de) to remotely connect my PC to the stevie mySQL database. It's FAST! I still have to investigate how handy and powerful it is (will report later) but it connects and shows table structure and content (three records.....) at soon.

OpenOffice 4.0.0 it's not fast at all. It takes more than 90" to connect, to show table structure or content. Impossibile to use, unless someone gives me to good hint to speedup this connection. Does anyone ever tried to connect OpenOffice DB to a remote mySQL?

Stay tuned, I'll keep you posted.

(hm... maybe better to move this topic to some other section? let me know)