[Answered] Johnny Downtime

lisanet

I posted this somwhere else too but it might be the wrong place to get an answer from. (At least I got in a thankyou.) I checked the server monitor but it didn't really answer my question. I wanted to know if Johnny was down at on Thu, Dec 5, 2013 at 2:13 PM

If so, would this have affected email?

Thanks.

You can check the uptime/downtime and load records for December 5th with this link:

http://heliohost.grd.net.pl/monitor/archive/?2013-12-05

Johnny looks about the same as he is on any normal day. Whether downtime can cause an email to not be received depends more on the sending email server than the receiving. Even 1 minute of downtime on the receiving server can cause mail to not arrive if the sending server is poorly configured. Standard practices say that a sending email server should retry sending failed messages for up to 3 days, but some administrators cheat to reduce load and use a much shorter retry time. If the sending server only tried once and Johnny was experiencing high load at the time then yes it is possible that the email would never arrive, but most of the time it shouldn't matter because the sending server will try sending it again later resulting in a delay of the email not in a complete failure.