[Answered] Disk Space Usage Being Shown As High

diabolicfreak

For some unknown reason Disk Space Usage for my account has been slowly increasing and it looks like disk space usage is gonna cross the 500 mb limit. This has happened to my account once before and my account got suspended, after i got unsuspended(after posting in this forum), the disk space usage came down to around 200 mb, and now its once again slowly increasing(currently 478.86 / 500 MB), but the truth is i have less than around 200mb of data in my account.

Could someone please help me with this issue, any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• cPanel username - diabolic
  • main domain - freehostarena.com
  • The server that i am on - stevie

CPanel has an interface that shows the files/folders which take up the most space.

You can find it in Files > Disk Space Usage, and try to look for the culprit.

Since you are confident that your data does not exceed the limit,

I'd recommend you to review your coding thoroughly, especially on uploads and data entry.

Lastly, I'd suggest you to change your passwords, for FTP and CPanel.

Someone may have gained access without your knowledge, and misused the space.

Look for core files where you have php files executed and delete all of them. Specifically this folder here: megaanswers.com

Here's a php script that will remove all core dump files from your account. Just save it to your site and rename it with a php extension and then run it:

http://bybyron.net/helio/cordump_sweeper.txt

• 2 weeks later...
Look for core files where you have php files executed and delete all of them. Specifically this folder here: megaanswers.com Here's a php script that will remove all core dump files from your account. Just save it to your site and rename it with a php extension and then run it: http://bybyron.net/helio/cordump_sweeper.txt

Thanks for the reply....but i have no idea what "core files" are. megaanswers.com is a wordpress website. There are a lot of php files in there, which ones should be deleted, and could u please explain how exactly the Disk Space Usage increases without my intervention. Btw running the php script, are u sure that it will not delete any of my website files that is important for its working??

Thanks in advance

. Btw running the php script, are u sure that it will not delete any of my website files that is important for its working?? Thanks in advance

Yes I am sure. It will only delete core files and that's it. If your still worried, you can comment this line out here and it will show the files that will be deleted:

unlink("$path");

like this:

# unlink("$path");

Don't forget to go back and uncomment that line and then run the script again.

• Like 1

You can get a core dump when your php script crashes or has errors:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Core_dump

We've been working to stop core dump files but it seems it's not that easy some times. Lately I haven't noticed any on my site but I also run that same script weekly with a cron so maybe I missed them? Check your site periodically for a few weeks and see if you still get them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
. Btw running the php script, are u sure that it will not delete any of my website files that is important for its working?? Thanks in advance
Yes I am sure. It will only delete core files and that's it. If your still worried, you can comment this line out here and it will show the files that will be deleted: unlink("$path"); like this: # unlink("$path"); Don't forget to go back and uncomment that line and then run the script again.

I got suspended again and moderator Tjoene told me its because of some malware, could that be the reason??... And the core dump script which you gave, is not running anymore, its giving an internal server error every time i run it http://megaanswers.com/cordump_sweeper.php>> plz help

its because of some malware, could that be the reason??

Definitely not. :) All the core dump script does is match and delete files; no way could it inject malware or open a backdoor for malware.

its giving an internal server error

When I go to the link provided I see a blank page, not an Internal Server Error. I took a quick look at the script, and it looks like it's simply not finding any files - there are no core files to actually delete, so it's not outputting anything. Your account's clean. ;)

• Like 1