Strange 500 - Internal Server Error

I am having 2 sites hosted in my account. One as a primary (say primary.com) and other as addon domain. (say addon.com)

The server has file structure as

/public_html/ <files for  primary.com>
/public_html/addon.com/<files for addon.com>

I have a .htaccess file in primary.com which sets custom error pages and it works. Later I had a rewrite mod that redirects all requests to a index.php file for processing including errors (like wordpress) and all is well with this domain.

I kept a .htaccess file in addon.com for custom pages and it throws an 500 Internal Server eror.

I tried both (obviously not together)

ErrorDocument 404 /404.html
ErrorDocument 404 /addon.com/404.html

but error still exists

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

blah blah blah....

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Help me out people..

I think the redirect rules of your root domain is interfering with the redirect rule in the addon Domain, As far as i have seen the rules set in .htaccess of your main domain will take effect in the addon domain also because it is a sub-folder in the directory, you need to write another set of rules to it to make it work properly.

I think the redirect rules of your root domain is interfering with the redirect rule in the addon Domain, As far as i have seen the rules set in .htaccess of your main domain will take effect in the addon domain also because it is a sub-folder in the directory, you need to write another set of rules to it to make it work properly.

Thanks, fixed it by a negated rule

RewriteRule ^(addon.com)($|/) - [L]