Why people vote for who.

On what reason do americans vote for presidents the most?  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
If you picked religion you are correct, its happened before and is proven that most american christians( which make up a good majority of pop) will only vote for a christian NO MATTER WHAT, isn't that stupid.

Choosing politicians because of their religion isn't so crazy. I mean- in most Arabian countries the leaders are Islamic. In Israel the leaders are usually Jewish. It happens for most countries, and seeing as 80% of America is Christian they probably would vote for a leader of the same faith. It's usually because the they know the leader will have the same values as them; for instance- a republican Christian will undoughtably stand for keeping old traditions. B)

So I'd go for a bit of religion, but mostly whether they were good enough. There are so many qualified politicians, but most of them are crap.

Where in the world did you get the fact that 80% of Americans are Christians. And how many of them are your type of Christianity/catholic. I for sure don't want some davidian to be the leader of my country. Anyways if a Christian becomes a leader he can't do anything to change the nation in the favor of Christians, as he would be sued, shawned and charged. This is why presidents are careful to do so much for the Christians. O and a random fact: George W. Bush was elected president mainly by the Christians who voted for him, now many churches pray for him as they disapprove of him. Thats what happens when you vote based on religion.

• 1 year later...
If you picked religion you are correct, its happened before and is proven that most american christians( which make up a good majority of pop) will only vote for a christian NO MATTER WHAT, isn't that stupid.

Really, I'm not too surprised. First, the religious opinion strongly dictates the world view of the person. If you believe in Islam, well think of the ramifications. Likewise, a Christian has his own world view. This (Christianity) is predominately what we as Americans believe, what this country is founded on, and thus who is predominantly voted for. Secondly, I don't know how many non-Christian canadets we have had to vote for... except Obama now.

• 2 months later...

I believe it is because of ethnicity and qualifications. Now that African Americans are running for president, some people don't want to look racist, so they vote for them. Some people might think you are racist if you say you're voting for the white candidate. That's how screwed-up our world is today.

I'm not sure experience is that big of a deal. Abraham Lincoln had less experience than Barack Obama when he took the Presidency. Andrew Jackson had pretty much no experience.

That's actually really true. I'll tell you what factors in the most: Media. Whatever the media says about a politician is what the people believe. If one person watches a really liberal television channel and nothing else, they're most likely NOT going to vote for the republican because the liberal channel will be dishing out bad stuff at the republican candidate all the time.

Sometimes I find it so annoying that all you see is campaign ads that talk about how bad the other person is, instead of telling about what they're going to do.

Politics just makes me mad. And the media. Period.

I don't think it's that bad. I find that most media organizations try their best to deliver unbiased news*, but bias is unpreventable. I don't think they have ulterior motives to steer American politics. As for negative ads: they work, so you can't really blame politicans.

* Except MSNBC. Also, I mean the actual news staff, not the talk shows.