Discussions like this always get me excited. I'm no expert but I love discussing this. x3

Anyways, myncknm (clever name by the way XD), excellent job explaining that. You said all and more than I was going to say as I read the first few posts and made it easier to understand. That would've taken me hours to pull together. x_x

As for travelling at the speed of light, I firmly believe that it's impossible. Travelling close to the speed of light may not be but I can't be sure. In fact, I think it would be easier to actually bend space to bring our destinations closer to us than it would be to travel the speed of light (and that would be no easy feat).

As for light behaving like particles, I believe it was already said that no one can clearly explain what light is, even the experts. That should say enough about that. I'm sure humans will find the answers eventually, but I doubt it'll be in our lifetimes. Questions like "What is light?" aren't what concern most people.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Light does have mass...in a sense.

For instance, if you were in the unlikely situation where you were stranded (stationary) a couple of feet from your spacecraft (also stationary) with a flashlight, you could move yourself back to the craft simply by turning on the flashlight and pointing it in a direction opposite the craft. Of course it would be much easier and more effective to simply throw the flashlight in that direction....

But light always moves, so its rest mass cannot be measured. So in a sense it also has no mass. It depends on your definition of mass. ;)

It's not that it can't be weighed, it's just that we have nothing to compare it to. It's like trying to measure the solar system in millimeters. Light is energy which is carried by a proton as a median. Therefore it doesn't need other matter as a median (like sound and heat). Since light is (somewhat) made up of matter, it definitely has mass. It's simply that we can't measure the mass.

In fact the Earth's gravity effects the light that passes closely to it.

• 4 weeks later...
Light does have mass...in a sense.

For instance, if you were in the unlikely situation where you were stranded (stationary) a couple of feet from your spacecraft (also stationary) with a flashlight, you could move yourself back to the craft simply by turning on the flashlight and pointing it in a direction opposite the craft. Of course it would be much easier and more effective to simply throw the flashlight in that direction....

But light always moves, so its rest mass cannot be measured. So in a sense it also has no mass. It depends on your definition of mass. wink.gif

Well.... light behaves as wave-particle duality. In certain situation, it shows properties of a particle, vibration etc. In some situation, it shows wave properties, dispersion, reflection etc. If you ever search wiki, light has zero rest mass because it's in the form of photon (to awsomejoe23: not proton, t's photon)

Many theories are still under construction, so we cannot make much assumption without proper experiment on lights. But what's for sure is, if we need to achieve speed of light, that is quite impossible as we require zero mass to do so, or infinite energy to push us forward, which is rather impossible. The only possible explaination of moving in light speed is in quantum physic and cosmology, in the wormhole theory.

I believe that it's not observable, because as described in a theory (I guess it's from Maxwell's Equation).

It's stated, as the object moving at higher speed, the length of the object observable from a stationary observer, will get shorter and shorter.

The form of equation is kinda like this

L = square root of ( 1 - [speed of object / speed of light]^2 )

Mathematically, if one exceeds speed of light, its length will hypothetically become 0. That is cannot be observed with plain eyes.

*Please correct me if I do made any mistakes of scientist name or equation, I've read this years ago, and I've forgot it.

Well.. that is believed to be true.

If one can exceed the speed of light, he can travel back to the past, arriving before you leave.

This is what scientist thought, but not me.

I believe that time could be slow, possibly could be stopped, but not be reversed.

Well... scientist believed that there exists several universes around us. When you be able to travel faster than light, you might get into a wormhole and travel into other universe - where the universe might be as same as yours, but million years ago.

Or maybe, the other universe is just billion light years away from us. By travelling faster than light, we can reached that universe.