Other life

There really has to be. The chances of there NOT being life are alot harder to beleive than there being some.

I think most of the people disbeleiving and trashing the idea are the people who beleive that there is One God who created Only Earth, and Humans are the superior race. If another planet contacted us first... wouldnt that make them more superior!?

DUH DUH DUHHHHHHHHHHH

If it is infinite, and you are infinite, doesn't that make the fact irrelevant? Because when you die, if all the exact infinite beings of you are doing the exact same thing with their exact same environment, they will die as well. You can never meet your other selves because when you leave, they would be leaving too. And if they aren't leaving, then they aren't an exact you. Even if you had a friend leave to check and see if you existed somewhere else, when he met the other you he would have all of your same memories. And another version of your friend would be coming to your planet to see if you exist. To make it easier, think of it as pacman. Yes, pacman. When you walk off the screen what happens? You go right back to the other side, so how could you ever prove that there was another exact universe without coming to the assumption it could be the same universe?

Well it all depends on the physics of how universes are set up. Also can they really be the same. Even as awesomegamer said, if your friend was going t a planet, and the exact him was coming to yours, then they still wouldn't be the same because they would be in a different place in the space time continuum. Now if other than that, if there was a type of "mirror reflection" of our universe, and it is in the same time and dimension as us, we could find out. I will make a simple text diagram to diminstrate let B = a radio that sends wave at a specific frequency. A is the person and 1 = a boundry of the universe, p = a point in the universe that is the same.

p >>Universe a>>>1>> >>>1>>universe b>>p how do you know point p is in a different location?

P>>Universe a >>>B>>> AA>>>>>1>>>>universe b>>B>>P

now both "bobs" but the radio in the same place in their universe, they meet in the middle, and now they see if radio waves come from both ways.

I guess lol

I~ think we're just over thinking this.

Let's just say the Universe is infinitely big.

...The end. Why would I be anywhere else? The universe is just really, really big, always growing. There will NEVER be another one of me, there will NEVER be an exact same Earth. It's impossible, the odds are just, well, infinitely high.

that is only asuming there are 2 universes, if there were more than tht many univrses how would we decide which one to go to? Can't choose because if it were 3 it becomes a triangle of motion. We could however use that method and meet in the center of the triangle. But what if the universe were infinate in a grid style?

I believe in the existence of life outside of Earth. I've always believed this way and I stubbornly refuse to believe otherwise because it's just difficult to imagine that we are all there is in this huge universe.

As for the existence of parallel universes, my standing is against it. This is something I skeptical about at best though. It could be possible. After all, there are many mysteries to the universe. ;3

Well, while I agree with you that there must be other life out there, I just need to point out that a planet circling a star doesn't really provide evidence for life outside of Earth. One thing that is a sign there might be life is if there's liquid water on the planet. Water is one of the most abundant things in the universe but most of it is either frozen or vaporized. Another thing that's necessary is probably oxygen. I don't know if it's possible for there to be life that breathes in something else but one way or another, oxygen will probably be produced as a by-product. Methane is also a good sign seeing as all forms of life expel it at some point or another.

Why would any other life "probably not be as advanced as us?" What reasons do you have - if any - for thinking this? Other life could fall below us on the scale or above us.

It could be single-celled organisms which will one day be as advanced as us, or multi-cellular organisms that are MORE advanced than us. The universe is liely a mix between the two. I see no logical reason why we would be the most (or least) advanced lifeforms.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I think it's actually statistically improbable that life only evolved in one place, but think about it - if it did, we were it and that's that.

Also, there does not need to be oxygen present on a planet for there to be life. The life could breathe a difference sort of air [if indeed it did breathe] because it would have evolved to do so.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Parallel universes? I'm pretty sure this is the stuff of silly science fiction writers who jot down a bunch of fancy tech-sounding terms that are in reality a load of bullocks, for the most part. Looking at the definition of "universe" (something along of the lines of "everything that physically exists"), isn't it obvious to see that wouldn't a parallel universe, if it existed, exist? Then it's part of the universe.

And life elsewhere (as in not on Earth)? Well, since the size of the universe is in dispute (ranging from infinite to not infinite - vague, huh?), the probability ranges from pretty darn large considering an infinite universe to .... pretty darn large, considering what we do know of the size of space thus far.

If there is life out there, let's be the ones that invade and kill it, not the other way around. :P

• 2 weeks later...

It's possible that there's something else out there... but not probable. I personally believe that life exists because of a series of extremely convienent coincidences, including the positioning of the sun and the contents of the earth's atmosphere. If the universe really did go on "forever," there will feasbily be another set of circumstances similar to earth's, and thus the potential for life.

But do we really know that the universe is infinite?