which programming language is the best to start with?

programming languages  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
With programming language you would advice to start with as newbie?

I'm started with C, but I don't think that was the best choice, it's a little obsolete.

Please don't start flaming, only come with good arguments.

*edit: can't change the poll anymore, the 'LI' must be logo.

PHP is probably the best to start with. Its easy to learn if you stick with it, and you can do many things with it.

Actually, programming are all quite the same alike isn't it?

Once you get mastered with one language, when you migrate to another, you will find that actually the format is quite similar.

I've learnt ActionScript first. And then PHP, I found it was quite similar in some ways. And now I'm working on JS, which are very look alike to AS.

• 3 weeks later...

I voted for BASIC. Some of you may say that BASIC "is crippling to the mind" (I'm watching you, Djikstra), but I only picked BASIC because VB.NET wasn't up there, and C# is too much like java. VB FTW

I voted for BASIC. Some of you may say that BASIC "is crippling to the mind" (I'm watching you, Djikstra), but I only picked BASIC because VB.NET wasn't up there, and C# is too much like java. VB FTW

lol i made my first two games in VB6 way back in highschool, easiest language ev4r!

It's a subjective choice, obviously. Depends on your needs and goals. Personally, I'd say C is the best if you want to learn the nuts-n-bolts of programming. The language is small and relatively easy to bend your brain around, and the library is the same. A lot of programming profs will tell you to write your own library routines rather than relying on someone else's work. Probably good advice for the student.

I use C# for work and most of my personal stuff as well, though I've spent some time with Ruby and *really* like it. I think you could learn the fundamentals of programming rather handily with Ruby, as long as you didn't rely too much (or at all) on it's fairly nice library.

True, modern programming is often about using libraries and components and the such (especially according to your boss), but still, you want to learn to walk before you try to run. I'm sure there are other cliches that apply as well. And heck, sometimes a cliche is true.

Just one guy's opinion.

My opinion is pretty much the oppisite. I don't see any sense in wasting my time re-writing some code whcih I could get for free. I love the boost libraries and I have recnetly been using ogre3d for 3d game development because I got sick of writing custom map loaders and having to worry about which format the textures are in because I would have to write another library to import .png or .jpg or .*.

I have never used ruby, but I am a fan of python when it comes to scripting langauges. I plan on encorporating it into my next game.

Joe

It doesn't seem to matter which programming language you start with, everyone seems to have turned out fine regardless of their first language. It all depends on whether or not you take the time to go through with the language you pick so for those who want results fast should probably start with something like BASIC (I don't have any experience with these languages so I'm not sure if BASIC meets this criteria, I only assumed it does because of comments like "BASIC is crippling to the mind") and those who have time to learn would go with C++. The latter would be more beneficial in the long term since you get to learn more about your computer when using lower level programming languages so when you move on to higher level languages, everything will be easier to understand.