which programming language is the best to start with?

programming languages  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

With programming language you would advice to start with as newbie?

I'm started with C, but I don't think that was the best choice, it's a little obsolete.

Please don't start flaming, only come with good arguments.

*edit: can't change the poll anymore, the 'LI' must be logo.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, C is far from obsolete. It's still very commonly used for things such as drivers. Any knowledge from C easily translates into C++ as well.

Just stay away from vB, unless it's vB.NET

It really just depends on what you would like to do with knowledge of programming.

If you are really newbie at the world of computers and internet, learn BASIC, but an average computer user should still learn PASCAL as the first language. It gives you the main knowledge of building a program up and if you've learned it, every other language will be easier. For online browser based gaming first HTML websites using Dreamweaver, then learn PHP, then try to set up a SQL server and then if your really good you might be wanting to learn Java too.

Java is a lot different than the others. c++ is the most common and used widely, so I would start on C then C++.

I dont know either, but that is what I hear from most people. All I know is web programming languages and GML(not a real language, just a simplified form of delphi. Only helps to make something quickly, not high quality.)

Action Script is a good one to learn, if you didn't think of it.

• 2 months later...

Yes i agree PHP is best to start with because its basic and flexible then as you move on you can expand your knowledge into other areas, of course though you might want to learn sql even if you don't need it

I picked:

BASIC: As its name suggests, it is very basic. It's probably the easiest language out there to learn, though it's functionality is a bit of a joke if you compare it to what else is available today. I guess it's a bit too late to tell people to start learning with BASIC.

Java: Admittedly not an easy language. Though not too difficult either. A wonderful part of Java is that it has an amazing library. A great deal of what you may need (though you should learn how it's written) is already pre-made and available with a single import statement. Java is very general purpose, and from what little I can see of current trends, it's set to replace C++ as an industry standard.

Python: I'm surprised nobody else has picked this yet. Python is a surprisingly simple and compact language. It makes a great springboard towards C, C++, and/or Java. It has all the features you would expect from a language, and possibly the other great upside (not to be taken literally) is that hello world is only one line and has no "trust me on this" involved.

And what you didn't have but I can't bear to leave out:

NetLogo: Python was sort of common. This is just downright obscure, and probably the only reason I know about it is because it's the introductory language of choice in my high school. NetLogo is one of those languages that you could probably explain to a talented elementary school student, and while its practical purpose is limited to certain types of interaction modeling, you shouldn't overlook the fact that NetLogo is actually a pretty complete language, having the concepts of functions (called procedures and reporters) and variables. The nature of NetLogo (and I admit I can't explain this without showing the program itself) forces students (gently) to think and program in a good style, use abstraction, break problems apart, and design things in parts top-down.