Webspace Help

Hi, I just signed up for the boards. I'm going to sign up for a Posting Standard plan for Heliohost webspace, but in the mean time I want to develop my website over this week, since it's Spring break and I have a lot of free time. I don't know PHP/MySQL but I'm trying to learn, and a lot of the programs I've downloaded to help make PHP pages require me to have active, actual webspace to work from. I guess then I have two questions:

1) Are there any free, easy-to-use (a nice browser GUI would be nice, streams of code make my eyes and brain hurt if I can't see what it will look like) programs that let me create pages that use PHP without having live webspace? What are they and where can I find them?

2) Is there a way I can get instant, free, temporary webspace for the week, so I can build my site, and then transfer the site to a Heliohost account in a week?

I'll keep looking, but I'd love it if anybody who knows more than me (which is probably everybody, lol) could help me out. Thanks so much!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Search for "Nvu", that's a good free program.

2. Sign up for a free account right now, and you can ask djbob to switch it over to posting later, or just sign up for 'testing123.heliohost.org" or something and then sign up for an account when you have the posts.

Yeah for sure you told me, i found a thousand blogs in the bizaar server though. Why isn't 100% security granted in all the server making softwares? -_-

Hey, the author of bizar server said that he just wanted to try making a server software and that that was his first experience and he said that it was made for home use not office use. The size of the first version of bizar server was in KBs so any person who needed for home use downloaded it easily. If anyone needs a server software for office use then he should go for a professional server software.

Hm, ok but still it is useless for people who live in Pakistan due to shortage of electricity, you even know that for sure. -_-

You could get a control-panel like tool for developing PHP based pages automatically. I believe there is one called "Joomla", which is a tool where you install the control-panel, and then you can choose a template to use, and add content to the pages, it also has features that you can put around the content automatically like menu items, search boxes, and login tools.

I prefer to build scripts I use (Other than full programs that I compile to use on Linux) from scratch, starting with a blank page.