Does The Color Of Website Background Really Matter?

Any thoughts?

IMO...

no matter what the site is about

dark background with light content - I will stay on the site

light background with dark content - I will stay on the site

dark or light background and hard to read (see) - I will move on to some other site

I think white background sites are easier to see in bright light, such as if you have a lot of open windows during the day, or on your laptop outside, or on a phone/mobile in direct sun.

Personally, I've always been more of a command line person. I use SSH to connect to Heliohost's servers. I use the command line to do most everything I can on my computers. On Mac OS the command line terminal window defaults to a white background with black text which just looks so wrong for typing linux commands, so I always change it to a more traditional dark background. Vim is my favourite text/code editor.

Aside from my personal preferences it's my opinion that dark backgrounds on a lot of websites make them look dated. Few use command lines anymore, which is why I think a lot of websites used to use dark backgrounds. It was like a left over from the days of monochrome displays. (Dark background with green text.) Who knows. The popular style right now seems to be white backgrounds, but maybe a few years from now we'll switch back to dark backgrounds again. Trends tend to be cyclical like that.