Freebies?

I'm just wondering if these things work. I recently signed up at http://cash.ultimatefreebies.org/ and I wonder if I should go on trying to get the $250...

Until now I won $2500 at least 10 times, 2 digital cameras, a laptop, new mobile phone, extra nice bike, subscribe to newspaper for a year, some shoes and Windows Vista and I am still waiting all that to come! :wacko:

kalamarko92

Sounds too good to be true. I've come across people on forums that say they've won stuff for real. But I guess they have all the luck because all they gave me was spam email. It makes me mad. So if you sign up and they ask for an email, don't use your main email if you don't want to receive spam.

heh. using gmail you can sign up as username+spam@gmail.com (replacing username with your username)...and the email still reaches your inbox (its called plus addressing) and then you can have gmail automatically label emails sent to username+spam@gmail.com as spam and delete them.

but personally i dont do those freebies...i dont believe that they're not true, i just don't trust them. =X always a catch somewhere.

• 1 month later...
can you do this with any type of email account or is this just a feature thru gmail?

Only with gmail I'm affriad.

Technically if you own your own server you could set something up.

The other technique is to signup for an email account you use for sites you don't trust.

Then just don't bother checking it.

Also some sies dislike the + sgn in email addresses, which is a real pain because it's also a very useful way to filter email that you want to go to a certian place.

yeah that's true...i've also found sites in the past that give you a free, temporary email for those kinds of sites...it's really convenient. you just type in your desired username, click "create", and you can go to the inbox. that way the site can send you an activation link, you can click it, and never have to use that email address again. at the start of the post I couldn't remember the site, but now i recall http://www.guerrillamail.com/ as being one. there are definitely others as well.

I found this url : http://club.live.com which gives you points for winning games (which you can play for free) and then in exchange for those points you can order prizes such as xbox 360 or usb flash drives etc. Can anyone check out if it is really true and if that site should be trusted?

Mmm... tough to tell... if it does give free prize you should always check their privacy statements... hell they could be more trustworthy than Telstra

I think that they really are trustworthy as its microsoft. If they're lying about this then it will earn them a bad name and no one will trust microsoft anymore. I also found another website which I think is trustworthy. This is the link : www.gamingmonster.net

Some of these offers do actually work out, though some don't. It's quite an annoying process as you can never tell how far your "obligations" might go. Yes, it's true: you can actually get an iPod or cell phone or laptop, but rest assured that by the time you have it, the total value of the information you've given and commitments you've made will have far outweighed it. If anything, just the time you'd spend alone is worth more (think: minimum wage) than your "reward" (translation: bait).

I won't completely agree to that. Some offers just require you to signup to a newsletter or a website account. That website will be paying the site for all signups due to that freebies website a lot more than the price they pay to give us the gifts or money. Suppose you have to complete 100 free offers to get $100 in cash and the ads website will be paying the freebie site $2 per signup that happens due to them then they'll still make a profit of $100. In this case, the freebie website is happy as it makes a profit of $100, we are happy as we get $100 and the ads website is happy as they get more members.

Those 100 free offer providers will then have an unreasonably large amount of your personal information. And I would say that information is worth much more to them (in potential value) and to you as well (in the time you'll waste down the line) than $2 a pop.

On which note, I've heard of guys making up completely phony identities for this sort of thing, even shipping the stuff to an abandoned building somewhere nearby... Not that I'd recommend that sort of thing.