Is it opensource if...

If you buy a license to a Forum software that you need to buy a license for, and then you make a completely original, all you mod for that board, is that considered opensource or is it just opensource to those with that type of board with a license?

If you buy a license to a Forum software that you need to buy a license for, and then you make a completely original, all you mod for that board, is that considered opensource or is it just opensource to those with that type of board with a license?

If the source is viewable and editable, the source is open.

If the source is viewable and editable, the source is open.

That's not entirely true, in fact it's not true at all.

I suggest you read the open source definition:

http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd

For something to be considered "open source" it nees to grant the person who has it (amongst other things) the right to redistribute it.

I think the mod would count as open source provided you used an open source license. You may need to license it in such a way so that it can be linked into the proprietery application (some license don't permit this, some do).

Technically they recipient of the mod would still get all the freedoms and rights needed regardless of whether they had the forum or not, the mod would just be useless without them.

Of course I am not an expert. I'm not sure who the canonical voice on Open Source is.

If you wanted to know whether it counted as "free software" I would have suggested asking someone on an FSF mailling list, or the Debian Legal mailling list.

[note: I assume you mean the forum is proprietery, not just you have to pay for it. You can pay for open source software just go ask the guys at Red Hat ]

The mod itself can be open source, in that everyone is entitled to the rights of the license you choose. The mod itself would be your code and not governed by anything the forum makers do. Practically speaking, however, only those with this forum would be able to use the mod, and you might be breaking your agreement with the forum makers if you share the forum itself or try to put some of it into your mod. What you write, you can share, what matters is what you take from other sources.