Are you running Windows Vista?

Van

Are you running Vista?  

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Oh ok, I didn't get it at first...

Yeah, it is weird but like you said, many games are now being made to be compatobile with Vista...

So just wait a few more months and tons of commercial games with be able to be played :D

- Van

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh ok, I didn't get it at first...

Yeah, it is weird but like you said, many games are now being made to be compatobile with Vista...

So just wait a few more months and tons of commercial games with be able to be played :D

- Van

\

Fair enough, I guess ure right... though halo 2 apparently is really bad

anyone know what exactly about vista makes it uncompatible?

Security perhaps?

Do games still try to execute code off the stack? That would probably not work any more. Stack code should never be marked as executable it brings in a whole load of attack vectors via buffer overflows. Not only can you control the address to return to but you could have put all the nasty code straight in the stack ready to be run. really bad.

Microsoft don't really care much about backwards/forwards compatibility. Mind you with a release schedule of one release in several years most technology becomes pretty obsolete by the time they retire the old version.

lol idk why but i typed more than that in the previous post...

"...like [i forget the negative stuff], but microsoft has gotten some unfair blaming recently, particularly concerning the built in default search options and default search engine in IE...Google's forcing Microsoft to change that, saying it puts other desktop searches at a disadvantage. Meanwhile, Mac's come with Safari, spotlight, and etc, and no one cares about that."

Well, I'm not a tech genius, but maybe this publicity/criticism towards Microsoft

will force them to create a better more secure product...

Maybe Microsoft will suprise even the most loyal Mac fan boys in a few more updates ;)

- Van

Well, I'm not a tech genius, but maybe this publicity/criticism towards Microsoft

will force them to create a better more secure product...

They've been getting this criticism for a long time and they haven't improved much.

They won't improve security because it's not cost effective. If people will buy your insecure product why waste money on making it secure.

I'm also thinging it would require a huge change. OSes like Unix/Linux/BSD and to some extent Mac have security built in at the kernel level. It also takes a shift in mindset for both users and programmers.

When you write a Windows application many developers assume it has administrator privilages. In Linux you assume your code is running unprivilaged unless it really needs it. And even then many applications that need root (Linux equivllent of Administrator) powers will drop them once it's done what it needs to do. This is common in webservers, they need to run as root to bind on port 80, they then switch to a lower user to limit the damage done if they are somehow taken over.

Up to Windows XP there was no easy way to run as a "Limited User" and still do things like install software without logging out and logging back in again.

On Linux (and I think Mac) you can perform actions like installation by providing the root password (some distros you supply your user password). Not sure if Vista has fixed this major problem.

• 2 weeks later...