Safari for Windows?

Browsers  

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recently, Apple has released it's Safari 3 Beta...for Windows. http://www.apple.com/safari/download/ . During Job's keynote at WWDC, Job revealed that he expected Safari's marketshare to grow greatly - at the cost of other browsers

Firefox (and open source) supporters aren't too happy with this view Apple has... http://john.jubjubs.net/2007/06/14/a-pictu...rth-100m-users/

I gotta admit though, I've been trying out Safari and it definitely feels MUCH faster. But it's probably because of a lack of plugins. I'm probably going to use Safari for regular browsing but switch to Firefox when necessary.

What are your opinions?

You're right. Safari is quite fast. It takes up 42 megabytes ram but still the program functions quickly which is quite good. I also like the interface made by apple for safari. I think its the same as the interface of apples operating systems. If you want a fast web browser then safari is the one for you(the interface is the only reason why I prefer this rather than firefox and firefox also has loads of downloadable addons)

• 1 month later...

There are a lot of ups and downs to Safari Beta 3......then again....it's just a Beta....but on my desktop....I can't change my home page, but I can on my laptop....Safari "unxpectedly quits" on my desktop....

I do love Firefox though. But it can take over 130 megs of RAM (and with my laptop currently only having 190 megs, this is not a good thing)

Plus...Safari starts up a lot faster.

In the end...I think that I'll stick with Firefox.......for now

I have downloaded the safari for windows and I love it. It is very fast and I have noticed that it was made specifically for windows, therefore you don't need the "option" key.

Oh, okay... but is it still in BETA or is it complete?

I have downloaded the safari for windows and I love it. It is very fast and I have noticed that it was made specifically for windows, therefore you don't need the "option" key.

Oh, okay... but is it still in BETA or is it complete?

It's in beta. Safari likes to randomly crash, though.

Haha. A few weeks after posting this...Safari is removed from my laptop. It quit too much and didn't remember my session, which frustrated me quite a bit. And now my Firefox is customized so much that I could never use anything else again.

Everything's all minimalistic, with only one line of toolbar that includes the File, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools menus, the back arrow (which disappears when disabled, meaning there's nothing to go back to), the refresh button, the stop button (which appears only when enabled), my location bar, and the throbber. There's another line for tabs, and thats it. I don't need a search box, because all I have to type is "g ____" for a google search.

There's more, but the point is that I could never do this with another browser. =/

Everything's all minimalistic, with only one line of toolbar that includes the File, View, History, Bookmarks, Tools menus, the back arrow (which disappears when disabled, meaning there's nothing to go back to), the refresh button, the stop button (which appears only when enabled), my location bar, and the throbber. There's another line for tabs, and thats it. I don't need a search box, because all I have to type is "g ____" for a google search.

There's more, but the point is that I could never do this with another browser. =/

Nothing really special, you've been able to do this in Firefox for ages. The key trigger search is an old-age feature from Opera which also exists as a Firefox plugin.

It's not that you could never do this with another browser, is that you never bothered to check out the alternatives.

Nothing really special, you've been able to do this in Firefox for ages. The key trigger search is an old-age feature from Opera which also exists as a Firefox plugin.

It's not that you could never do this with another browser, is that you never bothered to check out the alternatives.

actually, i have. i have used opera, safari, and internet explorer. and i know that you've been able to do this in firefox for ages...that's the point. opera may have the key trigger search, but its plugins database is not as extensive. also, it matters how easily one can modify the browser. in firefox, it was simply copying and pasting into a .css file.

also, it matters how easily one can modify the browser. in firefox, it was simply copying and pasting into a .css file.

Opera can do both user JavaScript and user CSS without plugins.

Opera's extensions are lackluster compared to the amount of extensions available for Firefox, but at least they don't memory-leak all over the place.