Spam

Ashoat

Look, it's clear that a bunch of people here are just posting for hosting, but can you at least make your posts half-intelligent? All I'm asking for is 25 posts a month - it's not hard. Follow the guidelines and try to actually help the community out. You're just scamming HelioHost here. High-quality posts aren't too much to ask for, especially if the cost is just 25 posts a month. Read the guidelines. Stop necromancing. And can someone please try to use proper English? This isn't a chatroom. We're gonna be stricter on spammers now - if you don't make quality posts, your hosting account will be suspended.

Especially read this one: http://www.helionet.org/index/index.php?showtopic=1544.

I agree with djbob. Especially on the necromancing part. It is very annoying when people bring up topics which have ended a while ago. Maybe you should get mods to delete the topics that are 1 month+ old. Just a suggestion.

Well, Like I have said, if the issue has been resolved or the topic goes so long without a post, then it needs to be locked/closed. If someone see's that they have another different/better solution that what had been posted, they can pm the originator of the topic. That may stop the necromancy

It will never stop. People can't handle free things and so they take advantage at every chance they get. I would say more forums need to go under the category of non-helion gaining, but then the board would lose about 90% of posts because most people make up an excuse to post even if they need to or not. It's really not that hard, it's less than 1 post a day for a month of hosting guys. Can you at least try to make one contributive post a day? I do it because many of the topics interest me and you will see "awesomegamer" in the top five last posts every now and then, but sometimes I come to the forum, look arround and have nothing to talk about, even though over 20 newly un-responded to topics may be listed on my "view new posts" page. So you can't even say it's an opportunistic thing to post 20 times in less than 10 minutes and leave. Because there are always things that come up. I tend to not come on during "active" hours here and thats the only reason I post in about 10 topics in a row because I've missed out all day and have something to say.

I can't tell, but I think I went a little off topic : /

Even if you post 25 posts in an hour, it's not like you can get a hosting account anyways. It takes a week on a new forum account to be able to sign up for a hosting account.

The problem is that the ones attracted to free hosting is generally the younger audience. Older people are able to pay the cheap for a basic hosting plan. I was talking to djbob, and he said he'd like Helionet to be more like Lifeless People, but we all know that ain't going to happen ;)

Seriously - it's 25 posts a month, which works out to one and a half posts a day. If you're only gonna do that, make a decent post, you're not being timed THAT badly...

Older people are able to pay the cheap for a basic hosting plan

Not true, unless "older" is 18+. I'm 17, and I can't get Paypal... only wiring money via Western Union. If I could do that I'd pay you. Also, I've seen 13 year olds with typing as good or even better than the administrators and "non-english-challenged" people here.

I know what you mean, though.

• 3 weeks later...

Spam needs to be cut down effectively, and currently Kyougi is doing a great job, though I think autopruning must be enabled, and archives must be kept. Though, sorry to say, to do this I think you need more admininstrators/moderators.

Spam needs to be cut down effectively, and currently Kyougi is doing a great job, though I think autopruning must be enabled, and archives must be kept. Though, sorry to say, to do this I think you need more admininstrators/moderators.

Ok hopefuly I can post hereand not get into trouble..... I have a few comments only gonna post it ONCE.

1. I fully agree on the No-Spam policy. But some time's it's not always that person spamming, some times they have a lot of opinions.

2. Like awsomegamer said," Comes in and has a few comments to different things.

Like me, Yesterday I joined the forums, I posted 6 or 7 seperate post "ALL Different Topics" all at LEAST 20 words in length, and I got penalized for spamming I was told to read guidlines but not which part, but I read ALL 4 of them. I'm not out for the Ad-free posting on any of the other helio-plans, I'm quite happy with a lil ad on my page, I affilliate with a lot of companys so one more ad is no biggy. But just because some one post more then a few times in a day dosen't realy mean they spammin or goin for the,"Big-Helio's".

3. There IS a script for the boards that stops ANY member from posting too many times in a set time period, either by how many posts an hour or by day. If the admins would like to have it let me know and I will line you up with it.

1. I fully agree on the No-Spam policy. But some time's it's not always that person spamming, some times they have a lot of opinions.

Ahem, "that's awesome!" and "this is the best thing ive ever seen" are plentiful. It's nice if you have a lot of opinions, but that's just spam. A post like that has no substance at all.

2. Like awsomegamer said," Comes in and has a few comments to different things.

Like me, Yesterday I joined the forums, I posted 6 or 7 seperate post "ALL Different Topics" all at LEAST 20 words in length, and I got penalized for spamming I was told to read guidlines but not which part, but I read ALL 4 of them. I'm not out for the Ad-free posting on any of the other helio-plans, I'm quite happy with a lil ad on my page, I affilliate with a lot of companys so one more ad is no biggy. But just because some one post more then a few times in a day dosen't realy mean they spammin or goin for the,"Big-Helio's".

Then, you lack reading comprehension. There are several rules that you break in those posts, including, but not limited to:

Irrelevant post, topics that don't mean anything or don't ask a question, post that doesn't contribute, and unnecessary bumping (necromancing). A spam post is not defined by how many words it contains, rather, by the amount of content in it. You can have hundreds of words without any content at all.

3. There IS a script for the boards that stops ANY member from posting too many times in a set time period, either by how many posts an hour or by day. If the admins would like to have it let me know and I will line you up with it.

It's a built-in feature in the board. We're not going to go and restrict people from posting a million times a second, but that doesn't guarentee that we won't fine you. We're happy if you post a lot, it's just that your posts need to have depth, or else I'll be pissed.

• 11 months later...

What about games such as the letter changing ones and the counting one? Should we avoid posting in those? Or is it okay as long as we don't double-post?

[EDIT]I didn't realize how old this thread was...sorry. This forum definitely isn't very active.