Afterlife...

This may interfere with some of the other posts, but philosophy generally goes hand and hand. Personally, I would love to believe there is an afterlife, which is going to commonly lead to the existence of a god or greater being due to popular/historic societal beliefs - however I do not due to the lack of scientific evidence. Until I see it for myself ("Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean its not real") I am not gong to believe in a greater force.

I do, however, contradict myself there because sometimes I find myself "praying" that baseball stays to the left of the foul pole, lol. But I keep telling myself there is no greater force, so in conclusion an afterlife must not exist. So my form of afterlife... picture sleeping with no dreams. It's an absense of everything. The purpose of life is to be fruitful and continue the human race. After we do that, what further purpose could we possibly have that would connect our "afterlife" with our human years.

just a few thoughts... feel free to argue me or agree - but post some of your thoughts.

I truly hope there is some kind of afterlife. Like you said, if there isn't an afterlife it would be like sleeping with no dreams, it would. But that doesn't sound that bad does it? You have to also incorporate the fact you will NEVER wake up, NEVER think "weird I'm sleeping when I'm dead!". It will all be over, no more you, a void. The idea of me not having the ability to think is scary.

I really hope there is a Heaven with God, but I'm skeptical. I want to fully believe, but it's hard. I hope there is at least some other plane of existence after death, but I doubt we will ever know.

An afterlife would be nice, though I think it's highly unlikely. I do like the muslim approach, however, with their ability do have great [bleeped!] once their bodies rot. The christian one, seems awfully lame to me. No eating, no sleeping, no computers, no technology, no girlfriends, no football, no parties, no swimming, no bathing, no playing with firecrackers, no movies, no etc. In christian belief you mainly worship god in the afterlife, you have no body, and everyone is considered your sibling, even your mom, your son, your worst enemy. I'd rather light some firecrackers off in hell.

I have to say, you make a good point. Worshiping god for all eternity doesn't sound like the greatest thing in the world. But it's like a game of telephone, the way religions change over the years. You can't really be sure what it would be like.

I have to say, you make a good point. Worshiping god for all eternity doesn't sound like the greatest thing in the world. But it's like a game of telephone, the way religions change over the years. You can't really be sure what it would be like.

If that is how you fell, then you really shouldn't believe in christianity. I think christianity is the stupidest thing in the world, but stupid people are people to. What I am saying, if you think that something like the entire point of the religion (going to heaven) has changed, then what do you know hasn't. I will just advise you to use common sense in your choice making. If you get a fuzzy feeling and decide to go to myth....erm religion, at least make sure that you believe something that you think is credible.

I really do hope that we live in someother scale of conscience, or maybe even woken up one day, and hopefully by the time we have that kind of technology we would be able to rebuild our rotten bodies. But that is, to me, as unlikely as religion. It's more of a desire than a belief.

But how can you prove there is no God? We can't. You can't prove there is one yet you can't prove there isn't one. And there are without a doubt religions that make less sense than Christianity. Take things like Buddhism, if your familiar with the religion you would know that if you don't follow the religion and have a pure heart you go down the scale. Well, most of the world doesn't follow the religion? How could that be possible?

good point, it would be a good thing, i cannot prove there is a god but no one actually knows just think, who made us we don't know its just all in books that people made we don't know if that it true?

Who made God, then? And who made the thing that made God? And who made the thing that made the thing that made God? It just goes on and on.

Science has a much better chance of explaining anything than religion does - religion, at its core, relies on ignorance. It's heavily based on lies and superstition, and no religions make sense. It's like believing in invisible unicorns - there's absolutely no evidence for them, other than your own word and faith, but you still believe.

I lean more towards the belief that there is no afterlife (It's more of a hope that there isn't one than a belief. One life is enough, thank you) but it honestly wouldn't surprise me to find out I'm wrong. There are things that are difficult to explain even with science. It could be that we just don't know enough yet or it could be something supernatural and related to the existence of an afterlife.

However, for the purpose of this discussion, I do not believe in an afterlife. It's difficult to give reasons why I believe this way, but it's also difficult to support the existence.

My standing on the existence of God or any other deity is the same. I don't believe but it wouldn't surprise me. I can't offer evidence against such an existence but neither can anyone else offer evidence in support of it.

• 1 month later...

honestly, the afterlife was created to give people a visualization of what life could be like after death. people created that so that we wont be afraid of dying and that we have something to look towards if we do die. although with each religion the story changes, its only there to makes us at ease with our fate that everyone will go through.

This may interfere with some of the other posts, but philosophy generally goes hand and hand. Personally, I would love to believe there is an afterlife, which is going to commonly lead to the existence of a god or greater being due to popular/historic societal beliefs - however I do not due to the lack of scientific evidence. Until I see it for myself ("Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean its not real") I am not gong to believe in a greater force.

I do, however, contradict myself there because sometimes I find myself "praying" that baseball stays to the left of the foul pole, lol. But I keep telling myself there is no greater force, so in conclusion an afterlife must not exist. So my form of afterlife... picture sleeping with no dreams. It's an absense of everything. The purpose of life is to be fruitful and continue the human race. After we do that, what further purpose could we possibly have that would connect our "afterlife" with our human years.

just a few thoughts... feel free to argue me or agree - but post some of your thoughts.

I quite agree. When I've came to think that, I found it very depressing at first. It really is a downer to think that we have no real purpose on Earth. That we are a bunch of animals who randomly came to life for no reason. But hey, life is fun and better enjoy it while you can and that's what I try to do.

• 3 weeks later...