Playstation 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Blu-Rays quality is higher then HD-dvds...

not only that but BDs capacity is over double hd-dvds

You're so wrong that I should ban you on the spot.

Again, as a bigot, you're making biased claims you take as facts. BOTH of your statements are wrong. Lemme show you why.

1) Quality does not equal quantity. Right now, Blu-Ray players can only output at a maximum of 1080p. Also, at this point of time, HD-DVD players can only output at a maximum of, get this, a maximum of 1080p. Even if we achieve the next HD resolution and start marketing that (though it's unlikely to happen in the near future because 1080p is already a very high resolution for the average big screen), HD-DVD will still have enough storage space.

2) My math must be off. I didn't realize that twenty-five divided by two is greater than fifteen, because that's the storage space of Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

storage space on double layered blu-ray disk is around 50gb.. that is what i was referring to. in the last post i should have put 'about'

anyway HD-DVD (in my opinion) wont win the format war.. they were and still are being outsold by about 2:1. Sales of Blu-ray disc movies totalled 1.6 million units, compared with 795,000 HD DVD discs in the first half of '07

Universal might be switching to Blu-Ray and Blockbuster (in 1450 stores) are only having Blu-Ray.

The report from DEG shows that 300,000 HD-DVD players have been sold through both stand alone drivers and Xbox 360 attachment drives, a figure which pales in comparison to the circulation of an astounding 1.5 million Blu-rays.

storage space on double layered blu-ray disk is around 50gb.. that is what i was referring to. in the last post i should have put 'about'

[...]

And? Who the hell is going to need 50GB of space for one movie at 1080p? 10GB is enough for a standard movie.

Of course Blu-ray is going to win if things continue the way it is. HD-DVD doesn't have a chance since Blu-Ray is being cannoned with the PS3s. That doesn't put HD-DVD completely out the picture because there's always a possibility that they'd make a comeback.

I'm against Blu-Ray not because Sony's pushing it, however, it's the lesser of the two evil formats. Blu-Ray has stronger DRM protection scheme. Not only that, we as the consumers will pay the price for the DVD presses having to be modified or replaced. It's been shown in the past that DRM not only doesn't stop piracy (rather, slow it down), it strips the rights of the consumer. I want my backups. More importantly, I want my frakking movies/music to play on my Linux PC. At least we have a somewhat easy time with HD-DVD. Blu-Ray's public/private key scheme makes it extremely hard to do anything with.

Developers are who is going to need 50GB of space as games get bigger and more complex.

For an example, Killzone 2 (the developers say) is going to use about 2GBs of space for each level. That's about half a DVDs worth of storage...which is alot. Obviously, this is why it's on Blu-ray, but it may account for the current slow down at checkpoints and the like. The detail is so high in fact, that the amount of polygons used in one soldiers face is roughly the amount used in one entire Killzone 1 level.

source psu

Developers are who is going to need 50GB of space as games get bigger and more complex.

The ones that are put effort into, anyways. >_>

Still, we're talking about right NOW. We don't need 50GBs of space for a game... yet. By then we may have new consoles.

Oh-ho-ho. Two GB per level. How many levels will Killzone 2 have, two? One level is actually split into ten sections? I'm going to love the load times for that, especially since the Blu-Ray drive speed is actually slower than a standard DVD drive. Guess you could "install" the game into the HDD, but that still wouldn't help as much because you're loading 2 GB.

As for the poly detail, that doesn't mean anything. I've worked with 3D models for years now and even highly detailed models aren't THAT big. It's several arrays of verticies making triangles or quads stored into a normal text format that the game engine interprets. The PS2 was the weakest last-generation machine, on top of that. Now, extremely detailed textures is another thing. THOSE things get big. However, music and pre-rendered videos are what take up more space than the standard model+textures.

I wouldn't doubt that the 2GB they talk about is either their pre-rendering level set or the combination of music and pre-rendered footage. We'll have to see.

I might as well stop making long and content-full posts, because people here fail to deliver the same amount back or even acknowlege the info that proves them wrong. Gotta love fanboydom.

• 2 weeks later...